Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks

Nights in Rodanthe (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Nicholas Sparks (Author)

Adrienne Willis is 45 and has been divorced for three years, abandoned by her husband for a younger woman. The trials of raising her teenage children and caring for her sick father have worn her down, but at the request of a friend and in hopes of respite, she's gone to the coastal village of Rodanthe in North Carolina to tend the local inn for the weekend. With a major storm brewing, the time away doesn't look promising...until a guest named Paul Flanner arrives. At 54, Paul is a successful surgeon, but in the previous six months his life has unraveled into something he doesn't recognize. Estranged from his son and recently divorced, he's sold his practice and his home and has journeyed to this isolated town in hopes of closing a painful chapter in his past. Adrienne and Paul come together as the storm brews over Rodanthe, but what begins between them over the weekend will resonate throughout the rest of their lives, intertwining past and future, love and loss.… (more)
Member:Preciousrellz
Title:Nights in Rodanthe
Authors:Nicholas Sparks (Author)
Info:Warner Books (2003), Edition: 1st Thus., 256 pages

Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks (2002)

Liked the way that Adrienne came up with telling her past to get her daughter out of her slump. Could not understand why a week-end affair - which is what it was - made her unable to connect with another man ever. Yes it also got Adrienne to realize her life could go on but couldn't it continue as more than just mom taking care of her family. Agreed that Paul had to go to his son. Did not like that beauty/looks was stressed so much. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
Treacly, unrealistic, over the top romance -- typical Sparks stuff. His fans will love it. The rest of us will risk permanent injury from the eye-rolling at the unlikely, idealized tale of two lonely people turning their lives around in just a few days, only to spend the rest of their lives (long for her, short for him) pining away for each other. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | May 21, 2020 |
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

Nicholas Sparks is the romance genius. He is able to create stories of people falling in love, like no author I have read a book from yet. He puts so much emotion and feeling into the pages, that after one of his books, reading another romance seems boring.

Having read almost all of his books, I decided to finish all the ones I haven’t read, and when I suddenly encountered this one in the library, I told myself – ‘’Hey, why not?’’

The synopsis was intriguing, as all of his books are, but unlike the others, Nights in Rodanthe left me disappointed. With his books – this was the first time I ever felt like that. And that is why I need to mention this.

First of all, the story is very predictable. Too predictable – even. I knew what was going to happen from the very first chapters, and I was expecting at least a little bit of a plot twist, but nothing really happened.

Secondly, the romance was fake. The falling in love part? I didn’t see it. I just can’t imagine people falling in love in three days. I am sorry – but it is impossible. Crush, interest, lust, someone paying attention to you, and you feeling goosebumps – I can understand it all. But in three days, I can’t imagine anyone falling so deeply for one another, that you can’t look at another person ever again, and they are all you think about, all day.

Honestly – how well can you get to know a person in three days? Will you get to know the real person? When you’ve never seen them sad, angry, how they behave in company, how they behave when drunk, when upset, when they are doing daily chores, like going at work (note – this all happened while they were sort-of on vacation).

I can remember how many summers I have spent going on vacation for ten days, and thinking I was in love with someone. I am sure you have gone through the same.

So, knowing all this above, I just couldn’t feel for these people as I used to feel with many from Sparks’s characters in other books. And don’t judge me, that this would be the sole reason why I rate this book the way I do. After all, it’s a romance novel.

On the other side though – it is an emotional novel. If you, for a moment forget how fast this romance happened and how unreal it is, the story is going to deeply hurt your soul, and crush you into pieces. Fake romance or not, you are going to shed a few tears for sure.

To wrap this up – I didn’t like it. I am not into fake, impossible romance. But this book seems to be a hit or miss, so if you like Nicholas Sparks – I still encourage you to read it. You never know, it might be your favourite book from him so far.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest ( )
  InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |
I thought this book was great. It is a wonderful love story and a love like that can be found. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
Nights in Rodanthe is an impactful story of love and loss that is full of imagery and the ability to relate to anyone whom may be facing hardship ( )
  Preston.Kringle | Nov 23, 2018 |
For Landon, Lexie, and Savannah
Three years earlier, on a warm November morning in 1999, Adrienne Willis had returned to the Inn and at first glance had thought it unchanged, as if the small Inn were impervious to sun and sand and salted mist.
Do not combine the movie with the book since they are not the same work.

Hachette Book Group

4 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446691798, 0446612707, 1586214403, 160024291X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,146,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible