No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress,…

by Chris Baty

Chris Baty, founder of the wildly successful literary marathon known as National Novel Writing Month, has completely revised and expanded his definitive handbook for extreme noveling. Chris pulls from over 15 years of results-oriented writing experience to pack this compendium with new tips and tricks, ranging from week-by-week quick reference guides to encouraging advice from authors, and much more. His motivating mix of fearless optimism and practical solutions to common excuses gives both first-time novelists and results-oriented writers the kick-start they need to embark on an exhilarating creative adventure.… (more)
Member:kayiscah
Title:No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days
Authors:Chris Baty
Info:Chronicle Books (2004), Edition: First Printing, Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:nonfiction, writing

No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days by Chris Baty

English (50)  Dutch (1)  All languages (51)
I now want NaNoWriMo to start at the beginning of March, so this book must be doing something right. ( )
  CharlotteBurt | Feb 1, 2021 |
It was good, but it was more focused on NANOWRIMO than I was hoping. That's not a bad thing, just a difference in expectation. Still, it was well written and has some great advice. ( )
  b_coli | Nov 25, 2020 |
I've tried Nano and it didn't work for me. My process requires me to write in a different way than is described in this book. That said, there are tips in the book which are useful to new authors. I would be the last one to say the advice in this book is no good simply because it does not work for me.

The thing any writer must do with books on how to write is to hold on to the tips that work and let go of the ones which don't. Each writer must find their own path and what works for some may not work for others.

This was an interesting view into what works for the man who created Nano.
  DebraParmley | Dec 29, 2018 |
“Anyway, whenever people express their reluctance to invest time in something that won’t have proven results, I ask them what they do for fun on weekends. Invariably, the time they spend running around on basketball courts, rearranging Scrabble tiles, or slaying video-game monsters is not done in an effort to make millions of dollars from corporate sponsorship. Or because they think it will make them famous. No. They do it because the challenge of the game simply feels good. They do it because they like to compete; […] because it feels really, really nice to just lose themselves in the visceral pleasure of an activity. Novel writing is just a recreational sport where you don’t have to get up out of your chair.”

In “No Plot No Problem! A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days” by Chris Baty”

In the last few years I’ve read at least one book a week. Back in the day the number was two books a week. And yes I haven’t read Twilight yet. Have you? THAT, my dear, is the drivel that you would expect from us non-professional WriMos. I’ve been working on a SF novel since, I don’t know, ages, and if it never gets published I will be fine with that because it's for MY enjoyment and satisfaction that I could do it... Every moron seems to think that we're all illiterate Neanderthals who maybe can read Dick and Jane and Dr. Seuss, but I've read Canterbury Tales in the Middle English, Beowulf in Olde English and Shakespeare in Elizabethan English...Like to see YOU try that! Until you've actually sat down at the keyboard with music blaring from your speakers, commiserating with your fellows about how to write a particular scene, then you know what it means to undertake this journey of discovery. Research shows that Opinions are like A-Holes...everyone has one. Is my WriMo work this year bound to win me the Booker, Pulitzer and the Nobel Prize for Literature and place me in the same category as Stephen King and J. K. Rowling? Gee, it'd be nice, but no, probably not. Almost certainly not. So why is that a problem? Along the way, you’ve forgotten (if you ever knew) that one learns as much from one's failures as from one's successes -- probably more. It’ll help me learn more about plotting and structure, about voice and dialogue and about how to create characters. Just in case you're not sure, those are all good things. In addition, I have structure and support and, since I intend to complete it this year, it will also help me develop discipline in my writing. Those are also good things, just in case you're not sure about that, either.

50K or bust!

NB: I am participating in the WriMo for the first time this year. I’m sure I’ll be learning so much about my writing style and genre and learning about myself through some of the characters I write. As for my novel, I doubt it will ever see the light of day. But I know it will force me to spend an hour and a half a day putting words on paper, and that process with shake loose the seeds of a thousand other stories, and I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion. I’ve trouble seeing that endeavour as a wasted effort in my development as a writer, regardless of what dark, mothballed fate might await the result (as soon as I'm finished cannibalizing it for use in future works). ( )
  antao | Mar 4, 2017 |
It has to be noted that this is not a book about writing in general but rather participating successfully in Nanowrimo, so don't go here expecting deep and insightful thoughts on novel writing of the same calibre as some of the often recommended books like Stephen King's.

For me, it was written a bit too excitedly, and had a few too many jokes about writers and coffee - yes, we get it, it's trendy to say that we writers subsist on the stuff... Now this isn't a bad book, but perhaps not as useful once you've read some other good books of writing. Honestly, I think most of the same content for surviving Nanowrimo can be found online, in the event pep talks, and in the forums. Still, no harm in borrowing a copy if a friend or library has one. ( )
  torfeida. | Jan 21, 2016 |
For my parents, who knew it was possible all along.
Introduction: The era, in retrospect, was very kind to dumb ideas.
One of the things month-long noveling does is get your sense of scale all out of whack. This is done intentionally, because anyone with a realistic sense of perspective wouldn't try to write a novel in a month. (170)
Inspiration and insight, I've learned, flow more freely from failures than they do from successes. (174)

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,244,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible