House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones

House of Many Ways (edition 2009)

by Diana Wynne Jones (Author)

Series: Howl's Castle (3)

When Charmain is asked to housesit for Great Uncle William, the Royal Wizard of Norland, she is ecstatic to get away from her parents, but finds that his house is much more than it seems.
Member:Altivo-
Title:House of Many Ways
Authors:Diana Wynne Jones (Author)
Info:HarperCollins Children's Books (2009), 336 pages

Work Information

House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: First in the series featuring Howl and Sophie.
    Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Also features Howl, Sophie and Morgan
    Mister Monday by Garth Nix (amberwitch)

While nothing can replace Howls Moving Castle in my heart, this book made it a lot closer than Castle in The Air did. The main character, Charmain, is pretty terrible at most things but I kind of love her for it. She has no clue about even the most basic housework, is grumpy about almost everything, and doesnt really have much interest in anything besides reading and food. The scenes of her and Peter causing one thing after another to go dramatically and magically wrong was probably my favorite part of this book. I also really enjoyed seeing the characters from Howls Moving Castle again.

Plotwise, eh, it was ok. I didnt always understand how things were supposed to be happening and almost everything could have been solved much easier with a bit more planning and communication, but it was still fine to read about. It all wraps up nicely at the end in typical Diana Wynne Jones fashion, and I think its worth reading if you like the authors writing style and read the previous 2 books in the series. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
A light adventure we enter when Charmain, a bookish teen is tasked to take care of her wizard-great-uncle-by-marriage's house while he is off being cured by elves. Charmain, out from the repressing reign of her mother finds out there's more to life than books and being respectable and the plot doesn't get bogged down in it's villains who mostly show up after Charmain has got her grip on a new life. ( )
  quondame | Oct 4, 2021 |
For the first 30-40 pages, I thought the main character's name was Chairman. But all in all it was a very good book. The only thing is that is ended so abruptly, it made me sad, 'cause there's not gonna be any more :( ( )
  astronomist | Oct 3, 2021 |
Sorry to see it end; lots of fun. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
House of Many Ways is the third book in the "Howl's Moving Castle" trilogy. Like book two, Castle in the Air, book three has a different protagonist. Unlike book two, Charmaine and Peter are not lovebirds torn apart. They don't even like each other. Charmaine Baker, an ardent bibliophile, is our protagonist. Her father is the best baker in town. Her mother is obsessed with being respectable. Her ideas of respectability for her only child do not include Charmaine knowing the first thing about dusting, cleaning, or washing dishes or clothes, let alone cooking. She's not kind. On the other hand, as she discovers, she's got real magical talent.

Peter has some practical knowledge, but he has two major handicaps: no sense of direction and an absolutely unfounded confidence in his ability to work spells. The lack of direction is no help in a wizard's house where the many ways depend upon making left or right turns correctly.

Princess Hilda from book two is back. We also get to meet her father, King Adolphus, a very nice man. Too bad the crown prince is such a selfish, nasty person. Another character from book two, the one-eyed Jamal the cook, is now working for the King. His dog is still with him.

The best news is that Sophie, Howl, and Calcifer have much bigger roles in this adventure. Morgan is back, an imperious toddler.

Throw in a wizard being cured by elves (which is why Charmaine and Peter are unsupervised in his house of many ways), a magical little dog, a monster with a rather ghastly habit, three mysteries for Sophie and Howl to solve, and a dispute with some local kobolds, and you get a very entertaining adventure.

Cat lovers are out of luck, but dog lovers have both Jamal's dog and sweet little Waif to enjoy.

I liked Jenny Sterlin's narration. She was particularly good at getting across Charmaine and Peter's mutual exasperation. ( )
  JalenV | Jan 17, 2021 |

Diana Wynne Jonesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harel, Mary-AliceIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rocco, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zakris, PaulCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my granddaughter, Ruth, together with Sharyn's laundry and also to Lilly B.
"Charmain must do it," said Aunt Sempronia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,976,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible