On Writing by Stephen King

On Writing (edition 2012)

by Stephen King (Author)

Stephen King reflects on how his writing has helped him through difficult times and describes various aspects of the art of writing.
Member:mj4781
Title:On Writing
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2012)
Collections:Read

Work Information

On Writing by Stephen King

English (453)  Spanish (4)  German (4)  French (3)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (471)
This book provides an insight into what made Stephen King the phenomenal writer he is. His brief autobiography is quite interesting and, for the most part, his guidance to aspiring readers looks practical. That King has practised what he preaches, and it has worked for him exceptionally, is encouraging to the wannabe writers. Though he seems quite blunt at many places, he comes out as honest. I may not agree with certain points he has made, but I enjoyed reading this one and would like to read it again if and when I get to writing my own. ( )
  aravind_aar | Nov 21, 2021 |
This is a fantastic book on how to write adult fiction books. This book was a gift to me because I love Kong’s books and enjoy writing myself. This book has many great tools for becoming an adult fiction writer, but the reason I bumped it down a star was because much of what I write is juvenile and a lot of the things that work in juvenile fiction does not work in adult fiction and vice verses. I again thought it was a wonderful read though with so many good ideas for writing! ( )
  klcarmack | Nov 12, 2021 |
After hearing so many people rave about this book, I foolishly assumed it would be impressive in some way. It wasn't. I mostly skimmed the second half because it seemed like such a waste of my time; another reviewer mentioned this is for people who want to write like Stephen King and I have no desire to suffer that fate. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
Four stars only because King's website no longer accepts submissions he solicits in the book.
This book: Honest. Inspiring for "pantsers" like me. Wanna finish writing a book? Stop talking and start writing! Every darn day. 'Til it's done. ( )
  bardbooks | Nov 11, 2021 |
I would never guess that Stephen King was such a nice and comical person. It was a pleasure to read about his path since he was only a young writer, learning about his successes and failures. The second part of the book, dedicated to give advice on writing is very interesting as well. ( )
  Leonardo_ | Oct 29, 2021 |

Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Honesty's the best policy. — Miguel de Cervantes
Liars prosper. — Anonymous
This book is dedicated to Amy Tan, who told me in a very simple and direct way that it was okay to write it.
C. V.
I was stunned by Mary Karr's memoir, The Liar's Club.
[Foreword] In the early nineties (it might have been 1992, but it's hard to remember when you're having a good time) I joined a rock-and-roll band composed mostly of writers.
[Second Foreword] This is a short book because most books about writing are filled with bullshit.
[Third Foreword] One rule of the road not directly stated elsewhere in this book: "The editor is always right."
"I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs and I will shout it from the rooftops."
"... there is a huge difference between story and plot. Story is honorable and trustworthy; plot is shifty and best kept under house arrest." (page 170)
(p79) Look — here's a table covered with a red cloth. ... Do we see the same thing? We'd have to get together and compare notes to make absolutely sure, but I think we do. There will be necessary variations, of course: some receivers will see a cloth which is turkey red, some will see one that's scarlet, while others may see still other shades. ... and a cat with an 8, clearly marked on its back in blue ink ... This is what we're looking at, and we all see it. I didn't tell you. You didn't ask me. I never opened my mouth and you never opened yours. We're not even in the same year together, let alone the same room ... except we are together. We're close. We're having a meeting of the minds.
(p102) The object of fiction isn't grammatical correctness but to make the reader welcome and then tell a story ...

On Writing tells of

writer's background more than rules

aspirants should learn.

(legallypuzzled)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,516,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible