On Writing - A Memoir Of The Craft by…

On Writing - A Memoir Of The Craft (edition 2000)

by Stephen King

Stephen King reflects on how his writing has helped him through difficult times and describes various aspects of the art of writing.
Member:psutto
Title:On Writing - A Memoir Of The Craft
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Scribner (2000), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013 challenge

On Writing by Stephen King

English (437)  Spanish (4)  German (4)  French (3)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (455)
Strange book - first half his history then second half his writing advice. Thought it was good while reading it but can’t remember any specific advice except to edit -10%! Also strange: kindle had it marked as Read but I don’t remember it….
  MiriamL | Jun 15, 2021 |
This is an excellent book for any writer to have--not only on their shelves, but also in their hearts. In his usual no-nonsense style, King shares with his readers his experience as a writer. He not only shares anecdotes about writing, but about living, how things like family life, professional challenges and other things affected him and his writing.

This isn't a "how to write" book, it's a "how to survive the writing life" book. ( )
  D.E._Chandler | Jun 14, 2021 |
When I started this book, I thought it would be more of a "memoir of the craft", but was surprised to see it's much more of a memoir of King himself. His own rise an author from nothing to one of the biggest names in writing.

I loved the individual stories of hard work, coupled with a mission to just write. From selling short stories to other kids while in school, to submitting to magazines, Kind wrote and wrote and hustled. It would have been easy for him to give up, but he had so much he wanted to say that he couldn't not write. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
My review of this book can be found on my Youtube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | May 7, 2021 |
This biography is one of the most famous ever written. The biography follows Stephen King's life and journey, including his honesty about drug addicition and how it impacted his writing. The book is a great tool for any person who wants to pursue writing, as it also includes a section about how to write, structure words, approaching a sentence, and overall writing advice. His biography is a top seller along with his other works of fiction.

Interview with Stephen King on the Writing Process

Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Honesty's the best policy. — Miguel de Cervantes
Liars prosper. — Anonymous
This book is dedicated to Amy Tan, who told me in a very simple and direct way that it was okay to write it.
C. V.
I was stunned by Mary Karr's memoir, The Liar's Club.
[Foreword] In the early nineties (it might have been 1992, but it's hard to remember when you're having a good time) I joined a rock-and-roll band composed mostly of writers.
[Second Foreword] This is a short book because most books about writing are filled with bullshit.
[Third Foreword] One rule of the road not directly stated elsewhere in this book: "The editor is always right."
"I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs and I will shout it from the rooftops."
"... there is a huge difference between story and plot. Story is honorable and trustworthy; plot is shifty and best kept under house arrest." (page 170)
(p79) Look — here's a table covered with a red cloth. ... Do we see the same thing? We'd have to get together and compare notes to make absolutely sure, but I think we do. There will be necessary variations, of course: some receivers will see a cloth which is turkey red, some will see one that's scarlet, while others may see still other shades. ... and a cat with an 8, clearly marked on its back in blue ink ... This is what we're looking at, and we all see it. I didn't tell you. You didn't ask me. I never opened my mouth and you never opened yours. We're not even in the same year together, let alone the same room ... except we are together. We're close. We're having a meeting of the minds.
(p102) The object of fiction isn't grammatical correctness but to make the reader welcome and then tell a story ...

On Writing tells of

writer's background more than rules

aspirants should learn.

(legallypuzzled)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,005,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible