Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom by…

Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom (original 1994; edition 1998)

by Christiane Northrup

In a supportive and informative manner, and using a holistic medical approach, Dr. Northrup encourages readers to create a personal medical plan, and includes much practical advice on choosing and relating to doctors. The middle of the book contains an in-depth guide to women's bodies and their health concerns.… (more)
Member:AgapeBirth
Title:Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom
Authors:Christiane Northrup
Info:Bantam (1998), Edition: Rev Upd, Paperback, 906 pages

Work Information

Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing by Christiane Northrup (1994)

English (9)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (11)
I read this back when Dr. Northrup still looked middle-aged in her red power suit! I remember feeling very much smarter, well-vindicated, and quite sad I couldn't find a physician just like her. I believe she was part of the revolution in women's medicine (and medicine in general) that helped bring some of what was once considered "alternative" into the mainstream. Agreeing with prior reviewers, I'd say, even if that's not your bag, it's worth the read--discard the parts that don't work for you. I'll be picking up this new edition when I can. ( )
  kbosso | May 2, 2017 |
A must-have resource for all women; learn to listen to your body! ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
There is much to consider and adopt in this book and also some parts that I felt were unrealistic. Also - I think this book could have been considerably shorter - there was a lot of repetition. Dr. Northrup preaches a mix of traditional medicine and alternative medicine along with a huge dose of positive thinking. She is convinced that bodily symptoms (particularly regarding female medical issues) are manifestations of emotional health. I agree with that somewhat - but my view of myself as a woman is much different than her view - maybe I was just really fortunate, but I had strong female examples in my life, I wasn't subject to abuse of any kind, and I don't really buy into many of the "cultural" norms for women. There are some concrete suggestions for supplements, alternative treatments, and resources - but they tend to be buried in all philosophy. Still, a great resource for anyone who is looking to take a more active role in their own health. ( )
  tjsjohanna | May 12, 2010 |
"Every woman should read this book and every man should buy the women in his life this book. Empowering women worldwide with knowledge about their own bodies in the most practical of terms, this book covers a broad range of women's health issues with the balanced yet practical wisdom of mind-body wellness." ( )
  PamelaWells | Mar 16, 2010 |
This book is so OK in many ways--she has me nodding "yes, yes, yes" about working on your attitude to improve your health and everyday well-being all the way up until she starts talking about how like, you can give yourself cancer if you regret not having children or whatnot. Sort of like when [a:Louise Hay|74538|Louise L. Hay|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nophoto/nophoto-F-50x66.jpg] writes in [b:You Can Heal Your Life|129603|You Can Heal Your Life|Louise L. Hay|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1176433520s/129603.jpg|874208] about doing therapy with overweight people and then just busts out with, "I explain that they are fat because they don't love themselves." For a better explanation, please see Jezebel.com: Is Oprah's women's health advisor a misogynist?Right, so I gave myself chlamdyia because I was angry at myself for procrasting a test or breaking up with an old boyfriend or some shit. Next time I get a yeast infection I'm going to treat it by stuffing one of those "Hang in there!" posters and a restaurant gift certificate up my cunt. ( )
  damsorrow | Jul 22, 2009 |
This book is dedicated with gratitude to the scientists and healers of the past, present, and future who have dared and continue to dare to go forward in faith, hope, and joy despite the deadening effects of conventional thinking.
Consciousness creates the body.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,975,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible