McSweeney's Issue 25 (McSweeney's Quarterly Concern)

by Dave Eggers (Contributor)

Other authors: Emily Anderson (Contributor), Kenneth Bonert (Contributor), David Hollander (Contributor), Chloe Hooper (Contributor), Connor Kilpatrick (Contributor)5 more, Alexander MacBride (Contributor), Steven Millhauser (Contributor), Joyce Carol Oates (Contributor), Padgett Powell (Contributor), Terry Wright (Contributor)

Series: McSweeney's Quarterly Concern (25)

If issues were anniversaries, this one would have to be printed on silver plates. You could melt it in some sort of forge and then pound it on an anvil until you had a set of earrings. Instead, it's a hardcover book with stories by a few of our old favorites--Steven Millhauser, Joyce Carol Oates, Padgett Powell--and more than half a dozen others, investigating everything from ape men to unlucky island-hoppers to what happens when Canadians go AWOL in Bosnia. Pound this one on an anvil and it'll pound you right back. Featuring three different cover types, and illustrations of various horses by Amy Jean Porter… (more)

Great collection of short stories accompanied by two-page, full color title pages each featuring a horse in an urban setting. Although the illustrations are wonderful, this issue is rather straightforward. ( )
  RobertOK | Feb 24, 2023 |
A pretty standard McSweeney's; Steven Millhauser's "The Tower" was very good, but the rest weren't memorable, and the design wasn't very creative. ( )
  JBD1 | Sep 13, 2018 |
The continually excellent McSweeney's fair. "Yuri" and "The Ape Man" were my favorite stories. There were several other engaging tales and I didn't feel that any of these offerings fell completely flat. One of the few stories that I wanted to like, but didn't was "A Death in Custody" which is a tragic real life story of the maltreatment and murder of Aborigines by Australian police. It was sad, but mostly served to remind me of a hundred similar stories from the last hundred years that document these tragedies without materially effecting it. I'm not quite ready to be surprised that "even today" humans can be racist assholes. Then again, maybe I'm just hard-hearted. ( )
  SatansParakeet | Mar 31, 2008 |
A good group of stories (plus one bit of reporting from Palm Island, following up a report in McSweeney's 21), but not as entertaining as the 23rd issue. Terry Wright's one page long surrealist piece, entitled 'The Butcher, The Baker', is worth reading several times. ( )
  colinflipper | Jan 13, 2008 |
I absolutely adored this edition of McSweeney's much more so than the last. My favorite story had to be The Tower - what an intriguing idea, and yet incredibly Dr. Seuss, if you know what I mean. A great, innovative collection. ( )
  cinesnail88 | Dec 24, 2007 |

Oates, Joyce CarolContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Powell, PadgettContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wright, TerryContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,925,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible