Antigone; Electra; Oedipus the King by…

Antigone; Electra; Oedipus the King

by Sophocles

Classic Greek tragedy. These plays are short and easy to read, although some might find the formal langauge difficult if they're not used to it. This edition includes end notes that explain in great detail the Greek myths and historical figures mentioned, which can help to put the plays into perspective of time and place. In typical Greek style, exposition is dealt with by a chorus, much of which is expected to be sung, though in production today rarely is. These works are fun to read, both for the historian of theatre and those who like a rousing story with plenty of sex and violence. For those who think the 20th century invented the dysfunctional family, they need to go back and read some of these classic Greek works. ( )
  Devil_llama | Jul 1, 2013 |
Wow! Why have I not read Greek drama before?! I loved these! I think my favorite was Electra, but they were all terrific!

I highly, highly recommend these as a must read for everyone! ( )
  bookwoman247 | Jun 9, 2012 |
There's little that I can say that has not been already. Sophocles uses amazing themes of honor, loyalty, and of course the tragedies of life. Oedipus and Antigone work hand in hand, as Antigone is the daughter or Oedipus. These two plays really show the ramifications of one's life choices and is frightening in some ways. Electra is really great as well, and felt like a version of Shakespeare's play Hamlet. The themes are very, very similar. Overall, I can't recommend Sophocles enough. These plays are accessible by all readers and should be tackled by everyone as well. Honestly, these are amazing plays filled with insight and great stories to boot! ( )
  mjmbecky | Nov 27, 2010 |
Antigone: Short, stark, and to the point. Not often have I seen ideas so well played out and such humanity involved. Antigone is highly relevant to our times, as well as providing a window to ancient greece. This was the play that got me interested in drama, not to mention verse drama. Timeless and wonderful.
The other two are nice... but either less well done, or simply more dated with age. Not surprising though. ( )
  funfunyay | Jul 30, 2009 |
ANTIGONE:  (Enter, from the palace, Antigone and Ismene):
Antigone: Ismene, my own sister, dear Ismene,
How many miseries our father caused!

[Tr. Kitto, 1964]

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192835882, Paperback)

This volume contains three masterpieces by the Greek playwright Sophocles, widely regarded since antiquity as the greatest of all the tragic poets. The vivid translations, which combine elegance and modernity, are remarkable for their lucidity and accuracy, and are equally suitable for reading for pleasure, study, or theatrical performance. The selection of Antigone, Oedipus the King, and Electra not only offers the reader the most influential and famous of Sophocles' works, it also presents in one volume the two plays dominated by a female heroic figure, and the experience of the two great dynasties featured in Greek tragedy--the houses of Oedipus and Agamemnon.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:57 -0400)

Love and loyalty, hatred and revenge, fear, deprivation, and political ambition: these are the motives which thrust the characters portrayed in these three Sophoclean masterpieces on to their collision course with catastrophe.Recognized in his own day as perhaps the greatest of the Greek tragedians, Sophocles' reputation has remained undimmed for two and a half thousand years. His greatest innovation in the tragic medium was his development of a central tragic figure, faced with a test of will and character, riskingobloquy and death rather than compromise his or her principles: it is striking that Antigone and Electra both have a woman as their intransigent 'hero'. Antigone dies rather neglect her duty to her family, Oedipus' determination to save his city results in the horrific discovery that he hascommitted both incest and parricide, and Electra's unremitting anger at her mother and her lover keeps her in servitude and despair.These vivid translations combine elegance and modernity, and are remarkable for their lucidity and accuracy. Their sonorous diction, economy, and sensitivity to the varied metres and modes of the original musical delivery make them equally suitable for reading or theatrical peformance.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,478,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible