dismiss

Cry wolf by Patricia Briggs

Cry wolf (edition 2008)

by Patricia Briggs

After years at the bottom of the pack, Anna has learned never to trust dominant males, until Charles Cornick, the enforcer and leader of the North American werewolves, declares her his mate, revealing her destiny as an Omega wolf.
Member:daydreaming.antigone
Title:Cry wolf
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:New York : Ace Books, 2008.

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs

Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Naked in Death by J. D. Robb (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, yes; one is an urban fantasy werewolf novel and the other a futurist police procedural/romance, but both of them have intensely character-driven protagonists whose relationships bind their series' together and evolve with each new book published.
    Through the Veil by Shiloh Walker (BookWhisperer)

English (132)  Piratical (1)  All languages (133)
Anna Latham finds herself mated to Charles Cornick after some events in Chicago. But she doesn't know much about werewolves. She was forcibly turned three years earlier and then abused and tortured by the pack Alpha and some of his wolves. Charles has killed the Alpha and is bringing Anna home with him to Montana. But the aftereffects of her abuse are still lingering.

Charles was injured by silver bullets in his rescue of Anna and he is slow to heal. When Bran - the Marrok and Charles's father - needs him to go into the mountains to track down a rogue werewolf, Anna is determined to go with him. Her wolf is certain that they are mates even though her human half is more confused and reluctant.

The problem is that it isn't a simple rogue werewolf that Charles could easily deal with even with his injuries that the two need to face. An ancient evil witch who has been searching for another of Bran's wolves has finally caught up with him and wants to take over the Marrok's pack along with enthralling the wolf she has been hunting for a couple hundred years.

The witch is immensely powerful and manages to mind capture Charles who is a very strong wolf and who has magic of his own from his Native mother. But Anna is an Omega wolf and has immense powers herself even though she doesn't really know how to use them.

When the wolf manages to capture and enthrall Bran himself she doesn't know just what she has captured and what her error might unleash. It is up to Charles and Anna to get rid of the wolf and save Bran from himself.

This was an exciting story even though I rather felt like I had been dropped in the middle of the story. I don't know if the story that tells about Anna before Charles arrives exists, but I plan to go looking for it. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jun 23, 2020 |

kmartin802 | Jun 23, 2020 |

"Cry Wolf" is a fun Urban Fantasy with a lot of strengths and few flaws that I felt brought this below the level of quality Patricia Briggs achieves in her Mercy Thompson series.

The magic used in the story, especially the concept of the Omega and the novel way the Pack Bond is exploited as a weakness, is original and well thought through. The centuries-long backstories of both The Marroc and The Moor are used well- The rogue wolf character is well drawn. The winter conditions in the Cabinet Mountains seem realistic except for the final drive out. The fight/conflict scenes are tense and the ways used to try to thwart mind-control are novel.

A few things got in the way for me. I felt I never really got inside Anna's head, even when the story was being described from her point of view.

I found the speed and ease with which Anna recovered from her experience of years of being brutalised unconvincing to the point where it seemed the brutalisation itself was being treated as less of a big deal than it should have been.

I felt the age gap between Anna and Charles should have presented more difficulties than it did. This was partially covered from Charles' perspective but never seemed to come up from Anna's side.

I think it was a mistake on the publishers part not to include the novella that really kicks off this series as at least a preface to this novel.

Despite the various flaws, this has enough in it, partly by virtue of its cross-over with the Mercy Thompson series, to make me keen to read the next book in the series.
  MikeFinnFiction | May 16, 2020 |
Maybe just shy of 4 Stars. Charles is a rock star, but Anna was a bit of a whiner for a lot of the book. She went though hell, admittedly, but it still grated after a while. She grows into her own though, so it’s worth the ride.

Getting more time with Bran was great, and understanding what the deal is with Leah! Ugh!

Walter, oh Walter... ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
I highly recommend reading the prequel, Alpha and Omega, before reading this book. Anna's backstory is important, and jumping in as this novel does has left several friends confused. My only serious issue with this book is the lack of open communication between the OTP. That's a frustrating trope for me. Then the action part of the story kicks in, and all of that gets wiped away. I'm definitely curious to see how the characters develop with each other. ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Amanda, fashionista, musician, and hairstyle artist. This one's for you.
No one knew better than Walter Rice that the only safe place was away from other people.

This book is related to the Mercy Thompson series, but will have Charles and Anna from the previous short story "Alpha and Omega" in the anthology On the Prowl.

Anna never knew werewolves existed, until the night she survived a violent attack... and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she'd learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. Then Charles Cornick, the enforcer—and son—of the leader of the North American werewolves, came into her life.

Charles insists that not only is Anna his mate, but she is also a rare and valued Omega wolf. And it is Anna's inner strength and calming presence that will prove invaluable as she and Charles go on the hunt in search of a rogue werewolf—a creature bound in magic so dark that it could threaten all of the pack.

It is recommended you read the prequel "Alpha & Omega" before reading Cry Wolf.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,917,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible