The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Neil Gaiman, Dave Mckean (Illustrator)

20,2261225179 (4.18)1 / 1304
Nobody Owens is a normal boy, except that he has been raised by ghosts and other denizens of the graveyard.
Member:SueBentley
Title:The Graveyard Book
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Dave Mckean (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Work Information

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (2008)

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling (veracity)
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle (lorax)
    lorax: Beagle's work is not YA, but it is a classic, beautifully written love story involving ghosts and a man living in a cemetary.
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (emperatrix)
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (heidialice)
    heidialice: Both are fantastical YA at its best. Gaiman is an acknowledged inspiration for Mieville, and it shows, though he has his own distinctive style and voice.
    The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs (timspalding)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman (moonstormer)
    From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury (Ape)
    Ape: Eerily similar stories...
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (kawika)
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (jonathankws)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (kawika)
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham (keeneam)
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Childhood and adolescent,murdered parents, supernatural, cultural and social isolation, ghosts - any Potter fan would love this quaint coming of age story.
    A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny (MyriadBooks)
    Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (heidialice)
    heidialice: Similar in setting, and both ghost stories, these are very different books, but fans of one should be interested in the other.

Ghosts (2)
To Read (18)

English (1,196)  German (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Romanian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (1,216)
I don't remember when I read this book, but I clearly remember enjoying the entire thing and being Very Invested by the end. I don't like everything Neil Gaiman writes, but I like a lot of it. This one's up next to The Ocean At the End of the Lane, a high compliment from me in either direction. :) ( )
  terriaminute | Dec 4, 2022 |
This was a fun, fantastical story about the living and the dead. A lovely tale about a boy growing up and problems that not all of us face. ( )
  cziering | Nov 27, 2022 |
3.75 ⭐️

This was a lovely little book! I hadn’t read any of Neil Gaiman’s fiction before this book so I wasn’t sure if I would like it or not, but I did like this book and I’m glad I started with this one out of all his novels.
To start off, I was more fond of Bod’s character when he was a teenager rather than a little kid, but that’s to be expected. I REALLY liked Silas’ character, I thought he was great—partly because he’s so mysterious, but also because he cares about Bod so much. I also just generally liked the graveyard setting because of how unusual it was. The other reason I liked it so much was because of all the times different gravestones were mentioned, and with all the details of their inscriptions—those always made me smile.
I will definitely be reading Neil Gaiman’s other middle grade fantasies (but not Coraline because that movie freaks me out) since I enjoyed this one so much. I’m excited to see what the others are all like!

Ps, I really liked that Neil Gaiman was the narrator for his own book. All the voices he did, with their different accents attached to them, made it an even more enjoyable experience. Would definitely recommend this audiobook! ( )
  EvelynNygren | Nov 17, 2022 |
I cannot explain the way Gaiman stories suck you in; you just have to experience it yourself.

A great read, that somehow broke my heart (it's not even a sad story)! ( )
  Pilgriminal | Nov 12, 2022 |
this had a cool premise and i liked how it showed the main character at different stages growing up and the different conflicts and elements of the world which were shown in those chapters. the boy raised by ghosts was an interesting idea as were other characters and elements. i liked the sleer and old burial in the hill. i do think that a lot of things could have been expanded on, there was definitely more potential for a lot of the stuff, but i guess it is a kids book and not everything has to be covered fully. i also thought the ending was a bit brief and underdeveloped and i didnt really see what role scarlet had, i thought she could have done more, but then again this was a kids book. still, i think it could have been longer but overall i enjoyed it and liked the ideas and the writing style ( )
  Arthur5742 | Nov 10, 2022 |
Gaiman writes with charm and humor, and again he has a real winner.
added by lampbane | editVOYA, Rayna Patton (Jul 24, 2009)

Like a bite of dark Halloween chocolate, this novel proves rich, bittersweet and very satisfying.

This is fine work, from beginning to end, and the best bedtime story read-aloud material I've encountered in a long time. Can't wait until my daughter's old enough to read this to.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 10, 2008)

When the chilling moments do come, they are as genuinely frightening as only Gaiman can make them, and redeem any shortcomings.

While “The Graveyard Book” will entertain people of all ages, it’s especially a tale for children. Gaiman’s remarkable cemetery is a place that children more than anyone would want to visit. They would certainly want to look for Silas in his chapel, maybe climb down (if they were as brave as Bod) to the oldest burial chamber, or (if they were as reckless) search for the ghoul gate. Children will appreciate Bod’s occasional mistakes and bad manners, and relish his good acts and eventual great ones. The story’s language and humor are sophisticated, but Gaiman respects his readers and trusts them to understand.

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Over the stones
It's only a pauper
Who nobody owns

-- Traditional Nursery Rhyme
There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.
Fortinbras Bartleby, ten years old when he had died (of consumption, he had told Bod, who had mistakenly believed for several years that Fortinbras had been eaten by lions or bears, and was extremely disappointed to learn it was merely a disease), now apologized to Bod.
“You’re always you, and that doesn’t change, and you’re always changing, and there’s nothing you can do about it.”
Nehemiah Trot said, “Ah, list to me, young Leander, young Hero, young Alexander. If you dare nothing, then when the day is over, nothing is all you will have gained.”
“And for that reason, if for no other, it is vital that the child be raised with as little disruption as possible to the, if you’ll forgive the expression, the life of the graveyard.”
"It's like the people who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." p. 104
This is the original prose book. Please don't combine it with any other format (Graphic novel, movie, etc).

Nobody Owens lost his "really" family when he was infant and became adopted by a ghost family in his local cemetery. Aside from having ghosts for parents and guardians he also persued by the mysterious man who killed his family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,276,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible