Blue Smoke and Murder by Elizabeth Lowell

Blue Smoke and Murder

by Elizabeth Lowell (Author)

Jill Breck inherits a dozen paintings from her great aunt after she dies in a fire on her ranch under suspicious circumstances. Jill goes to the ranch to look things over and finds that one of the paintings had been sent out to an art dealer for appraisal. Soon she is getting a death threat in regard to the paintings so Jill gets help from St. Kilda consulting to protect her and investigate the paintings.

I liked the idea about art collecting, auctions and price fixing but I found this story a bit tedious. There was some sex and romance but mostly suspense, which I prefer. Jill got very involved in finding the bad guy, which wasn't realistic. This was just a marginal story for me. ( )
  gaylebutz | Aug 25, 2015 |
An exciting adventure from beginning to end, Blue Smoke and Murder is pure entertainment. I listened to the audiobook, which is expertly performed by Carol Monda. It had just the right mix of romance and adventure for my taste. This is my first book by Elizabeth Lowell, but it won't be my last. ( )
  JackieCarroll | Mar 11, 2015 |
I very much like novels written by Elizabeth Lowell, but this one was just so-so compared to her others. I thought the romantic connection between the two main players was lukewarm and as far as the suspense part of it...there is no way an organization like St. Kilda would have allowed the circumstances at the end of the book to have occurred. Unbelievable that a client of theirs would face what she did. I did enjoy the background information on the art world. This was fairly enjoyable but not spectacular by any means. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Nov 16, 2014 |
Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
A good book, and just like all of Lowell's works (at least those I've read), the suspense and art is great. Like many of her works, the action and operations side of the book is not quite up to the highest standards and that is all that detracts from the story. Unless you read techno-thrillers it is unlikely that you will see anything wrong or have had any hand in the operational side of things, it is unlikely that you will give this book less than five stars. ( )
  sferguson | Nov 17, 2011 |
Northern Arizona, August, midnight // Something was wrong. Heart beating wildly, Modesty Breck sat up in bed. Listening over the pounding of her pulse, she tried to understand what had jerked her out of her sleep. The wind blew hard, swirling around the old ranch house. She ignored the sound of rushing air. In the high, desolate reaches of Arizona's northern strip, the wind always blew.

Jill Breck was just doing her job as a river guide when she saved the life of Lane Faroe, son of two of St. Kilda Consulting's premier operators. But when a string of ominous events—including a mysterious fire that kills her great-aunt and a furor in the Western art world raised by a dozen Breck family paintings—culminates in a threat to her life, Jill reluctantly calls in a favor.

Zach Balfour works part-time as a consultant for St. Kilda. His expertise is gathering and analyzing information from unlikely and often dangerous sources. Though he's got the skills to be a highly effective bodyguard, being a bullet catcher isn't his preferred way to spend time.

Protecting Jill will take him into familiar territory—among a strange, savagely competitive bunch of collectors who'll do anything to stay at the top. But Jill is in deeper waters than she's ever known; as she soon discovers, the perils of running wild rivers are tame compared with the hidden dangers in the high-stakes game of art collecting.

From the cozy rooms of the Breck homestead cabin to the cold multimillion-dollar galleries of the Western art circuit, Zach and Jill must race against time to unmask a ruthless killer hidden in a blue smoke of money, threats, lies, and death. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:41 -0400)

Protecting a river guide with ties to the art world, private information collector and reluctant bodyguard Zach Balfour realizes his charge is in more danger than previously known, a situation that pits them against the ruthless multi-million-dollar Western art circuit.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,117,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible