Max Frisch: Stiller by Max Frisch

Max Frisch: Stiller (edition 1968)

by Max Frisch (Autor)

1,2431312,132 (4)53
Arrested and imprisoned in a small Swiss town, a prisoner begins this book with an exclamation: "I'm not Stiller!" He claims that his name is Jim White, that he has been jailed under false charges and under the wrong identity. To prove he is who he claims to be, he confesses to three unsolved murders and recalls in great detail an adventuresome life in America and Mexico among cowboys and peasants, in back alleys and docks. He is consumed by "the morbid impulse to convince," but no one believes him. This is a harrowing account part Kafka, part Camus of the power of self-deception and the freedom that ultimately lies in self-acceptance. Simultaneously haunting and humorous, I'm Not Stiller has come to be recognized as "one of the major post-war works of fiction" and a masterpiece of German literature.… (more)
Member:JacquesRebell
Title:Max Frisch: Stiller
Authors:Max Frisch (Autor)
Info:Fischer (1968), Edition: 212.-236. Tausend, Dezember 1968

Work Information

I'm Not Stiller by Max Frisch

The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (gust)
    gust: Regelmatig verwijzingen naar Mann.Een erg gelijkend deel dat speelt in een sanatorium.

English (8)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (13)
Ook verschenen als Beeld noch gelijkenis
Van bon Nelleke
  Marjoles | Jan 28, 2020 |
I really enjoyed Max Fisch's novel "I'm Not Stiller." The story was really compelling and offered up some great thoughts on identity -- are you the person you believe yourself to be.... or are you the product of what all those who know you see? Such a great idea for a book.

The novel follows a man who is arrested in Switzerland after someone identifies him as the missing and mysterious Stiller. The prisoner denies he is Stiller and begins to set down his evidence in his notebooks.

I liked this story a lot on a first reading, but I think it's definitely one of those books that I'd get even more out of reading it again. ( )
  amerynth | Jan 14, 2016 |
This book is about mistaken identity. When Stiller is picked up he puts on the ruse of being someone completely different.

This book has received lots of praise but for me it was long and boring and I could never really follow the story. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |

JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
I found it hard going in the beginning. But by the middle I truly wanted to know what happens next. Is he Stiller or isn't he? ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |

Max Frischprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bullock, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dissing, VolmerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fontseré, MargaritaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaufholz-Messmer, ElianeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klaarhamer, MargotTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Kijk, daarom is het zo moeilijk zichzelf te kiezen, omdat bij die keuze de absolute isolatie identiek is met de diepste continuïteit, omdat door die keuze iedere mogelijkheid om iets anders te worden, of beter gezegd om zichzelf in iets anders om te dichten, onvoorwaardelijk wordt uitgesloten.'

'...doordat de hartstocht van de vrijheid in hem ontwaakt (en zij ontwaakt met de keuze, net zo goed als zij in die keuze zelf voorondersteld is) kiest hij zichzelf en vecht voor dat bezit als voor zijn zaligheid, en dat is zijn zaligheid.' - Kierkegaard, Enten-Eller (Of-of)
Peter Suhrkamp, dem verehrten Freund, in Dankbarkeit
I'm not Stiller!
Selections from "Stiller". Please don't combine with the original novel!

From the book cover:
Arrested and imprisoned in a small Swiss town, a prisoner begins this book with an exclamation: "I'm not Stiller!" He claims that his name is Jim White, that he has been jailed under false charges and under the wrong identity. To prove he is who he claims to be, he confesses to three unsolved murders and recalls in great detail an adventuresome life in America and Mexico among cowboys and peasants, in back alleys and docks. He is consumed by "the morbid impulse to convince," but no one believes him. This is a harrowing account--part Kafka, part Camus--of the power of self-deception and the freedom that ultimately lies in self-acceptance. Simultaneously haunting and humorous, I'm Not Stiller has come to be recognized as "one of the major post-war works of fiction" and a masterpiece of German literature.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,313,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible