Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby, Book 2) by…

Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby, Book 2) (edition 2006)

by Shirley Damsgaard

Ophelia Jensen's good witch granny Abigail revels in her paranormal powers. But Ophelia never asked for her bothersome psychic abilities -- especially since they proved worthless when the thirty-something librarian's best friend Brian was murdered by a still-unknown assailant. Now, five years later, another friend is gone, killed in almost identical fashion. Even dear old Abby isn't safe, distracted as she is by her fight to prevent a massive, mega-polluting pig-farming operation from invading their small Iowa town. And Ophelia can't count on her snarling, scoffing nemesis, police detective Henry Comacho, to get the job done, so she'll have to take matters into her own hands. Because a common thread to the crimes -- and a possible next victim -- is suddenly becoming troublingly apparent . . . and it's Ophelia Jensen herself!… (more)
Member:nytetyger
Title:Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby, Book 2)
Authors:Shirley Damsgaard
Info:Avon (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages

Charmed to Death by Shirley Damsgaard

Continuing story of Ophelia as she begins to learn the art of 'magick' and her grandmother, and experienced white witch. The plans for a corporate pig farm to be built close to the town has the citizens up in arms. Author makes her personal position clear without preaching, and manages to weave old murders, new murders, witchcraft and relationships in an excellent fast read ( )
  ker95tx | May 27, 2020 |
It's been over a year since I read the first one - I was excited to continue the series, so ordered the next several in the series. For some reason took awhile to start it, though. Will keep on with the series but my enthusiasm is dampered a little. As with a lot of series, it may spruce back up again though. Let's hope!

I love the concept - small town witch librarian who is slowly coming into her powers, aided by her quirky grandmother, in a cozy mystery setting where she keeps stumbling on dead bodies and has to solve the crimes to prevent herself from being sucked in and killed.

Book two takes to solving an old murder that plagued her since book one, where in her past a friend was murdered. Answers are finally here, and they're depressing. Ophelia has come out of her shell and is allowing friends and dates now, unlike her stubborn demeanor in the first book where she refused to stop being a hermit and meet people.

The mystery is a good one, but I started suspecting the villain because there weren't enough culprits left that would be likely. Comancho was a fun character - I hope he returns in the future, has a charm and animal magnetism about him.

As with a lot of cozies, the writing is too simple, too juvenile, at times. The dialogue goes from flowing smoothly to seeming silly. It's all a little unrealistic with the writing tone and characters aren't sketched out enough yet - especially Ophelia's overreactions with her emotions, particularly where her grandmother is concerned.

I'm hoping the third improves - the concept for the series is fun.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
This is the 2nd book in the series and I am reading it second after the 4th book which I read 1st. Are you with me so far?

Ophelia (town Librarian) & her Grandmother Abby have the "Gift", which has passed Abby's mother by. Abby is having to go this alone, but is guided by her Great Grandmother's Rune Stones. Abby has visions & dreams...which are as horrific as the murders themselves. Abby is being tracked by a serial killer who previously killed her best friend Brian and later several other professional homosexual men. In the mix is the community that is fighting a large corporate "Hog Farm", which pollutes the rivers and land.

I like the series, the books are well written...however I have also been able to figure out the Red Herrings and the killers before the conclusion. I am not thrilled with the graphic violence of the murders or her visions. I would prefer there to be more information of her & her grandmother's "Gifts".
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Following her adventures in the series opener, Witch Way to Murder, Ophelia is settling into her position as a librarian in the small Iowa town where her grandmother, Abby has lived for many years. Ophelia doesn't stay out of trouble for long though because both she and Abby are witches and dead bodies just seem to keep turning up around Ophelia. Soon Ophelia is trying to dodge the policeman who made her life a living hell when her friend Brian was murdered while trying to figure out who would have wanted to murder Brian and why.

I liked this better than the first book in the series, partly because a lot of the exposition was out of the way thanks to the first book, but mostly due to the presence of a worthy partner/romantic interest for Ophelia - Detective Comacho, who was orginally mentioned in the first book as an antagonist. The chemistry between Ophelia and Comacho is well-done and Damsgaard has them set-up for future collaborations in a way that makes sense. I'm not convinced all the plot threads were that neatly tied up (who was it again who knocked out Abby in the greenhouse and why?) but maybe I just didn't pay close enough attention since I was reading this on a car trip.

After the first book, I decided to give the series one more try, but I liked this well enough that I think I'll pick up the next one once my "to be read" stack gets a little shorter. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
A good, cozy book with elements of the paranormal. An enjoyable read. I always like a book with a librarian main character! ( )
  dd196406 | Aug 27, 2011 |

Shirley Damsgaardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elwell, TristanCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,765,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible