Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Edenborn by Nick Sagan

Edenborn (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Nick Sagan (Author)

Series: Idlewild (2)

Edenborn begins with a stark vision--a microbial apocalypse called Black Ep has wiped humanity from the globe, yet not all is lost. Six individuals have survived the epidemic and are now committed to the task of rebuilding a peaceful civilization. But not everyone shares the same vision, and soon two very different societies begin to form. As we follow a child from each "family" someone--or something--begins to threaten their innocence. And as the mystery mounts, a mutated strain of Black Ep makes a deadly return. Now the architects who gave breath to this new world must scramble to protect their children from a two-front assault. It's a race against extinction, and Nick Sagan keeps us riveted to the page.… (more)
Member:rickycatto
Title:Edenborn
Authors:Nick Sagan (Author)
Info:NAL Trade (2005), 311 pages
Rating:***

Edenborn by Nick Sagan (2004)

Can't get into it. Maybe I liked Idlewild too much. Maybe I miss the very missing character. Maybe I'm not the least impressed by the "scary" character with the quirky voice. Maybe it's simply that it's a sequel.

One thing, though: 30-odd years into a future with no humans, there'd be no marketplaces left, much less ones still holding market smells in their undamaged pavement. Sorry, but sometimes the disbelief snags on something as it's suspending.
  GinnyTea | Mar 31, 2013 |
I listened to Idlewild (Book 1) in 2008, and had a hard time connecting with any of the characters. In this book, it was easier for me to connect the characters, and I thought a lot of the ideas explored were more interesting than the ones explored in the first book. In both books, I didn't find the inner monologs believable, but it's hard to tell if the writing is at fault or the readers when you're listening. I wasn't crazy about the ending, but I see now that there's a third, so perhaps, I'll feel differently if I ever get around to it. ( )
  alwright1 | Mar 31, 2013 |
This sequel to "Idlewild" is narrated by Pandora, Halloween, Penny (one of Champagne and Vashti's daughters), Hadji (one of Isaac's children) and a mysterious character called Deuce. Now in their mid-thirties and living in the real world, the six surviving ex-pupils of Idlewild School are scattered about the globe; Vashti and Champagne in Germany, Pandora in Greece, Isaac in Egypt, Halloween in Michigan and Fantasia who knows where, if indeed she is still alive.

Vashti, Champagne and Isaac have taken on the responsibility for raising the next generation, although the women and Isaac have vastly different approaches to their task, while Pandora is responsible for maintaining their machinery and virtual reality systems, and acts as a peacemaker to keep them communicating. ( )
  isabelx | Mar 16, 2011 |
Not quite up to the first book, this one is a good addition to the series. We find ourselves 18 years in the future, and a cure for Black Ep has still not been found. The 20 people or so left in the world survive the disease either by being genetically engineered to have super immunity, or natural born but taking must a drug cocktail just to stay alive.

The story is told through a number of characters, both enhanced and natural, old and young. The characters are painfully real, but at times become caricatures of themselves. There are also a lot of plots, that makes you think the book is going in one direction, but than goes in a different direction. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | May 11, 2009 |
Good story, though some of it seemed a bit far fetched. Sagan seems to enjoy killing his characters. ( )
  gregandlarry | Sep 17, 2008 |

Belongs to Series

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,732,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible