Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, Book 1) by…

Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, Book 1) (edition 2005)

by Jim Butcher

2,914None1,972 (4.01)152
Member:TheWoodwards
Title:Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, Book 1)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Ace (2005), Edition: First Thus, Paperback, 512 pages
Collections:

Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher

2008 (9) adventure (16) Alera (14) Book 1 (15) Codex Alera (152) Codex Alera series (20) coming of age (9) ebook (31) elementals (13) epic (10) epic fantasy (27) fantasy (605) fiction (173) furies (17) high fantasy (18) Jim Butcher (24) Kindle (14) magic (71) novel (12) own (18) paperback (13) read (33) science fiction (19) series (52) sff (32) signed (13) speculative fiction (16) Tavi (11) to-read (69) unread (30)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (Morgester)
    Morgester: You just have to cheer for Yelena - Strong, vibrant characters and impressive narrative ability.
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (leahsimone)
    Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara (Morgester)
    Morgester: Strong characterization, compelling story.
    The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke (majkia)
    majkia: another coming of age book where young boy and young girl find they are more than they seem.
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (majkia)
    majkia: Another coming of age book, but granted, in a completely different environment. Still, both have strong central characters who grow, and change to the backdrop of war, and have a marked impact on their worlds.
    Progeny by R. T. Kaelin (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both of these works are Book One in their respective series and represent a wonderful foray into epic fantasy with expansive landscapes and well-drawn characters.
    The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron (epazia)

English (87)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (89)
This story is a pretty straight-up very long boy-with-a-destiny-and-friends-must-defend-the-keep-from-the-evil-enemy-horde kind of epic fantasy that doesn’t stand out. There are a lot of the usual tropes which made it impossible for me to forget I was reading an epic fantasy novel (rather than becoming absorbed in the story). At first it’s hard to really like any of the characters but by the end I liked them better and I thought the plot was heading in a more interesting direction (away from the evil enemy horde). The romances are very thin but the occasional dry humor is appealing. I’m willing to read the next book, but mostly because I already have it on my shelf. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Did not finish. I'm a Harry Dresden fan, but just couldn't get into this world and the characters. ( )
  macalba | Apr 5, 2014 |
  macalba | Apr 5, 2014 |
Καλούτσικο. ( )
  Antonis.Papadakis | Jan 30, 2014 |
This was a fun read for me. No, it's not the most inventive or challenging fantasy book out there but it's still imaginative and a lot of fun. While I was reading it I commented to a friend that it reminded me of Star Wars. Not only was there a young farm boy being raised by an Aunt & Uncle (he must have a Destiny) but this book also that that sense of fun. And sometimes that's exactly what I'm in the mood for. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my son, hero in training.
And in memory of my father, a hero in truth.
The course of history is determined not by battles, by sieges, or usurpations, but by the actions of the individual.

For a thousand years, the people of Alera have united against the aggressive and threatening races that inhabit the world, using their unique bond with the furies - elementals of earth, air, fire, water, wood, and metal. But in the remote Calderon Valley, the boy Tavi struggles with his lack of furycrafting. At fifteen, he has no wind fury to help him fly, no fire fury to light his lamps. Yet as the Alerans' most savage enemy - the Marat horde - return to the Valley, TAvi's courage and resourcefulness will be a power greater than any fury, one that could turn the tides of war...

Taken from the write up on the back of the book

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044101268X, Mass Market Paperback)

For a thousand years, the people of Alera have united against the aggressive and threatening races that inhabit the world, using their unique bond with the furies - elementals of earth, air, fire, water, and metal. But now, Gaius Sextus, First Lord of Alera, grows old and lacks an heir. Ambitious High Lords plot and maneuver to place their Houses in positions of power, and a war of succession looms on the horizon." "Far from city politics in the Calderon Valley, the boy Tavi struggles with his lack of furycrafting. At fifteen, he has no wind fury to help him fly, no fire fury to light his lamps. Yet as the Alerans' most savage enemy - the Marat - return to the Valley, he will discover that his destiny is much greater than he could ever imagine." Caught in a storm of deadly wind furies, Tavi saves the life of a runaway slave named Amara. But she is actually a spy for Gaius Sextus, sent to the Valley to gather intelligence on traitors to the Crown, who may be in league with the barbaric Marat horde. And when the Valley erupts in chaos - when rebels war with loyalists and furies clash with furies - Amara will find Tavi's courage and resourcefulness to be a power greater than any fury - one that could turn the tides of war.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:06 -0400)

In the realm of Alera, where people bond with the furies--elementals of earth, air, fire, water, wood, and metal--15-year-old Tavi struggles with his lack of furycrafting. As his homeland erupts in chaos--when rebels war with loyalists and furies clash with furies--Tavi's simple courage will turn the tides of war.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible