Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, Book 1) by…

Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, Book 1) (edition 2005)

by Jim Butcher

3,4281021,573 (4)174
Member:TheWoodwards
Title:Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, Book 1)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Ace (2005), Edition: First Thus, Paperback, 512 pages
Collections:

Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (Morgester)
    Morgester: You just have to cheer for Yelena - Strong, vibrant characters and impressive narrative ability.
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (leahsimone)
    Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara (Morgester)
    Morgester: Strong characterization, compelling story.
    The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke (majkia)
    majkia: another coming of age book where young boy and young girl find they are more than they seem.
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (majkia)
    majkia: Another coming of age book, but granted, in a completely different environment. Still, both have strong central characters who grow, and change to the backdrop of war, and have a marked impact on their worlds.
    Progeny by R. T. Kaelin (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both of these works are Book One in their respective series and represent a wonderful foray into epic fantasy with expansive landscapes and well-drawn characters.
    The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron (epazia)

English (100)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (102)
The short version: I like the book.

The slightly longer version: There are some obvious similarities to GRR Martin...the Shieldwall the most obvious. Lots of action. A little bit of coming of age. Someone mentioned this is GOT meets Last Airbender. I think that's fairly accurate. ( )
  lesmel | Aug 12, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
The Furies of Calderon was an amazing book that irritated and enthralled me in turns. The book was filled with twists and surprising outcomes, I went between never wanting to put the book down to being so surprised by what had happened to want to put it away forever - but I couldn't do that because the book was like a siren song and called me back into its depths within an hour or so. This is just a book that you have to read to believe. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
It took me a few chapters before the "reeling in" process morphed into being. Once done, well - what can I say - another Butcher Series that will keep me reading (and entertained!!) for years to come! HIGHLY recommended! (finished) ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Review Originally Posted At: FictionForesight

This review pertains not only to Furies of Calderon, but will speak to the strengths of the series as a whole – without revealing too much, of course. I started the Codex Alera series with minimal expectations. It’s been a long while since I’ve indulged in a fantasy series because I was beginning to find a lot of them to be formulaic and a little trite. So I was pleasantly surprised when I ripped through Furies of Calderon in a matter of days.

Tavi of Calderon is a simple country boy, living on the easternmost reaches of Alera with his steadholder aunt and uncle, and their charges. Most people in Alera have a cursory command of what they call “furies” – earth, air, fire, water, wood, and metal elementals, capable of manipulating the world around them. Tavi is 15 and still furyless – but as political sedition and an encroaching warrior tribe draw his family into the action, he finds out he is capable of more than he thinks.

In this first book, the characters are largely the typical fantasy-character archetypes: plucky hero, strong and silent protector, emotionally intelligent and secretly powerful woman, vs. Sneaky traitor, skilled mercenary, and his doting evil mistress. It is very much “good” vs “evil” and characters have little moral complexity and very few character flaws. Still, they are relatable and well written, and the story moves us along enough to compensate for this problem. As the series progresses, we learn more about our cast of characters and the world they live in, which allows for a broader scope and more complex issues and development. The early books have a touch of romance to keep readers engaged (I felt a bit silly that this trick worked on me, I guess I’m only human), but by the last installments we are so wrapped up in Tavi, Alera, and the fate of the world that romance essentially ceases to exist.

If there’s one thing the author is good at, it’s writing action. Even the political and military discussions are filled with plot turns and twists and keeps the reader desperate to find out what happens next. Throughout the series our heroes are written into corners so deep you think everyone is done for – and then something unexpected swoops in and saves the day. Jim Butcher has also done his research into military tactics, as Alera uses a military force like the Roman Legions. While this hits its stride in the third novel of the series, even Furies of Calderon finishes with a massive battle for control of the Calderon Valley, and the reader sees every minute of it – the planning and subsequent panic of the characters, the bloody, visceral aftermath – Butcher gives us every grisly detail. While in some instances (especially in the first book) he gets a little too caught up in revealing a character’s entire train of thought, this can be forgiven as it allows us to follow the whirlwind of the next fight that much closer.

Butcher is best known for the Dresden Files series (you can read our review of Storm Front (here), but this lesser-known universe satisfies both the skeptical adult in me and the idealist, fantasy-loving teenager that I thought had vanished some time ago. There are plenty of flaws to pick at and I’ll admit, I rolled my eyes a number of times while reading Furies of Calderon. But Alera and its characters are engaging and well-crafted, and the pacing of the novels is outstanding. If you’re looking to keep the dull moments at bay, I’d suggest putting the Codex Alera series on your reading list.

Fun fact: Rumors abound in the blogosphere that Jim Butcher started this series on a bet – that successful writing depends on having relatable characters and that he could write a successful series based on any premise his friends came up with. The material? Roman legions and Pokémon.

(www.FictionForesight.com) ( )
  FictionForesight | Apr 26, 2016 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frangie, RitaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my son, hero in training.
And in memory of my father, a hero in truth.
The course of history is determined not by battles, by sieges, or usurpations, but by the actions of the individual.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044101268X, Mass Market Paperback)

For a thousand years, the people of Alera have united against the aggressive and threatening races that inhabit the world, using their unique bond with the furies - elementals of earth, air, fire, water, and metal. But now, Gaius Sextus, First Lord of Alera, grows old and lacks an heir. Ambitious High Lords plot and maneuver to place their Houses in positions of power, and a war of succession looms on the horizon." "Far from city politics in the Calderon Valley, the boy Tavi struggles with his lack of furycrafting. At fifteen, he has no wind fury to help him fly, no fire fury to light his lamps. Yet as the Alerans' most savage enemy - the Marat - return to the Valley, he will discover that his destiny is much greater than he could ever imagine." Caught in a storm of deadly wind furies, Tavi saves the life of a runaway slave named Amara. But she is actually a spy for Gaius Sextus, sent to the Valley to gather intelligence on traitors to the Crown, who may be in league with the barbaric Marat horde. And when the Valley erupts in chaos - when rebels war with loyalists and furies clash with furies - Amara will find Tavi's courage and resourcefulness to be a power greater than any fury - one that could turn the tides of war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:08 -0400)

In the realm of Alera, where people bond with the furies--elementals of earth, air, fire, water, wood, and metal--15-year-old Tavi struggles with his lack of furycrafting. As his homeland erupts in chaos--when rebels war with loyalists and furies clash with furies--Tavi's simple courage will turn the tides of war.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,134,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible