Grandmother and the Runaway Shadow by Liz…

Grandmother and the Runaway Shadow

by Liz Rosenberg

332485,186 (4)None

Grandmother and the Runaway Shadow tells the story of a woman's journey to the Americas after the potato famine. Grandmother was a woman who survived by taking care of herself through a time when it was hard to survive on your own, especially as a woman. This story portrays the strength and courage it took to start a new life, even if it meant traveling with just your shadow. The shadow was the only thing that kept grandmother company and sustained her during this new way of life. The representation of the shadow reflects inner strength to just survive and it is a great story to read to young girls thirsty for winning. ( )
  Kstanley35 | Dec 4, 2018 |
Grandmother and the Runaway Shadow by Liz Rosenberg is an interesting story of a woman who thinks of her shadow as another person. The book is told from the point of view of the granddaughter who describes her grandmother's journey to America and her life once arriving. The narrator also describes the life of the grandmother's shadow in accordance to what the grandmother is doing. The shadow will do things like trail behind her on the stairs and jump from lampposts as the grandmother walks down the street. I was a bit confused by the necessity of the shadow throughout the book, it didn't seem to make much sense anywhere and I was waiting for something bigger to happen with the shadow. I'm not sure exactly what I expected, but the book seemed anti-climactic without something more happening. I wanted the shadow to be given deeper meaning, but it never was, it was simply a shadow. Because it was confusing and anti-climactic, I probably would not read the book to a class, nor would I keep it in my classroom’s library. The book did do a good job of describing how the life for a new immigrant would have been, which I enjoyed and I wish had been described more and was the central focus of the story. The illustrations are paintings that are realistic, but a bit splotchy. ( )
  hallen11 | Oct 12, 2015 |
LJCRS Book Fair Selection 5758

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152009485, Library Binding)

A young girl tells the story of her courageous grandmother, who as a young woman left her home and family to travel to the New World, where her only companion for a long time was her shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:36 -0400)

Relates how Grandmother, accompanied by a mischievous shadow, emigrated from Russia to the United States.

Liz Rosenberg is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,921,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible