Mistress by Amanda Quick

Mistress (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Amanda Quick (Author)

After a year of grand adventures touring the classical ruins of Italy and Greece, Iphiginia Bright returned to England to discover that the real excitement was at home. It seems that her Aunt Zoe has fallen victim to a sinister blackmailer and only Iphiginia can hope to stop the culprit before he can do more harm. Her plan is inspired: Imitating history's most legendary beauties--Cleopatra, Helen of Troy, Aphrodite--the former schoolmistress will remake herself, and descend upon London Society as the dazzling mistress of Marcus Valerius Cloud, the infamous Earl of Masters. Rumors hint that the Earl has disappeared at the blackmailer's hands, and by posing as his unknown mistress, Iphiginia is convinced she can ferret out the villain. Overnight, Iphiginia is transformed into a vision with a host of eager admirers, including one she does not expect -- the Earl of Masters himself, who strides into a shimmering ballroom one evening to cooly reclaim his "mistress". He is everything they say he is... arrogant, attractive, devastatingly seductive, and Iphiginia can't help but be enthralled. But when Marcus agrees to play along with her charade, she doesn't know that the determined earl has plans of his own: to tease and tempt her, until the beautiful deceiver becomes more than his mistress in name only.… (more)
Member:KateFaceAtl
Title:Mistress
Authors:Amanda Quick (Author)
Info:Bantam (1994), 342 pages
Collections:Diane Ayers, Your library

Mistress by Amanda Quick (1994)

English (15)  Czech (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (17)
This was actually a pretty good historical mystery romance since both of the main characters had a sense of humor plus acted intelligent. I loved how Iphiginia did/did not follow society rules and the Masters set of rules. Adding a mystery to the story made it more interesting especially the ways that the couple tried to solve it. I also enjoyed the interactions with the secondary characters. Would read another of her books. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
:) ( )
  Janicemo | Aug 13, 2019 |
Mistress by Amanda Quick
Narrated by: Barbara Rosenblat

2 Stars - Found this audiobook in Audible’s Romance Package and decided to read something from when I first fell in love with romance! I remember loving Amanda Quick and quickly making it through her entire backlist. This time around, I found that the book lacked the witty dialogue I have come to expect in my historical romances, and instead favours discussing antiquities. I wonder if just my tastes have changed or if perhaps I just chose one of the books that wasn’t her best. I am sure I will try another of hers again in the future and see. The plot itself was alright, but I did find that it seemed to drag a bit.

The narrator did a good job. I would listen to her again.

~Paragraphs and Petticoats~ ( )
  MyaB | Dec 4, 2018 |
Mistress
3 Stars

Marcus Cloud, Earl of Masters, is astonished to learn that his non-existent mistress is taking London by storm. Thus, he returns to Town to meet his "paramour", Mrs. Iphiginia Bright, only to discover that the intriguing young woman has adopted this masquerade to ferret out the identity of a nefarious blackmailer. Soon the two join forces to unmask the villain and perhaps turn their charade into something more real.

Marcus and Iphiginia are very likable as individuals and they have wonderful chemistry together. Unfortunately, the suspense plot is contrived with a very obscure and the culprit is obvious with an obscure and incomprehensible motive.

Moreover, Marcus's brother Bennet has got to be one of the most obnoxious characters in the history of romance. He is a self-absorbed, judgmental hypocrite and his behavior toward Iphiginia is unforgivable. The fact that it is more or less glossed over has the book losing a star.

While my read through Quick's backlist is enjoyable, it may be time to take a break for a while and get back to it later. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Features the usual pre-20th Century vaguely Victorian era that many historical novels and a headstrong female lead who is determined not to be tethered to someone who will make her less.

Ipiginia [I'm probably going to muck it up at some stage and write Ipigenia as is more common and the spelling did leap out at me throughout.] is trying to help her Aunt Zoe who is being blackmailed; she's posing as the mistress of the Earl of Masters, a man the blackmailer claims he has killed.

Only he isn't dead and his curiousity is aroused by this woman, so he investigates and finds more to her than he first thought.

It's funny and fun and enjoyable and I was sucked in throughout. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 19, 2018 |

Pradilla, VictoriaTraslation revisorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sassone, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tröger, EmilComposersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Your latest mistress is creating a sensation back in London, Masters. Society finds her vastly entertaining." Charles Trescott, seated before the fireplace, downed a swallow of brandy and eyed his host with a sly expression.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,213,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible