The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling…

The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living: A Guide to… (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Russ Harris (Author)

What if almost everything we believed about finding happiness turned out to be inaccurate, misleading, or false? And what if those very beliefs were making us miserable? What if our efforts to find happiness were actually preventing it? A growing body of scientific research suggests that we are all caught in a powerful psychological trap: a vicious cycle, whereby the more we strive for happiness, the more we suffer. This book provides an escape from 'the happiness trap', via a revolutionary new development in human psychology: a powerful model for change, known as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). ACT helps people to create a rich, full and meaningful life, whilst effectively handling the pain that inevitably comes with it. It achieves this through the use of six powerful principles, which are very different to the 'common-sense' strategies suggested in most self-help books. ACT has been clinically proven to be highly effective in a wide range of psychological disorders, ranging from depression and anxiety to drug addiction and schizophrenia. It is no exaggeration to say that ACT is changing the very face of western psychology -- and it was recently written up as a major feature article in 'Time' magazine. Interestingly, although ACT is based on cutting-edge psychological research into human cognition, it has many parallels with ancient eastern philosophy. This book shows you how to apply ACT in your own life to increase self-awareness, develop emotional intelligence, enhance relationships, create a sense of meaning and purpose, access a transcendent sense of self, and fundamentally transform painful thoughts and feelings so they have much less impact and influence over your life.… (more)
Member:dttocs
Title:The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living: A Guide to ACT
Authors:Russ Harris (Author)
Info:Trumpeter (2008), Edition: 1, 240 pages

The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living: A Guide to ACT by Russ Harris (2007)

German (2)  English (1)  All languages (3)
I have to confess that I purchased this book simply on the cover alone! Whilst I'm not really into ‘self-help’ books the title and snappy tags drew me in and I must say it was a worthwhile read. Russ Harris conveys in an easy to follow approach the thinking and principles behind the Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT). Ostensibly ACT is a mindfulness based technique that encourages us to accept the many negative thoughts that hinder us, better define our personal values, and to act and live our lives in accordance to those values. I found many of the fundamental ideas and lessons closely mirrored those beliefs of Eastern religions - particularly Buddhism. Harris quite clearly states that we are never likely to reach the happiness nirvana purported by much of the self-help establishment but with a few adjustments we can learn to lead far more enlightened lives. ( )
2 vote adamclaxton | Sep 17, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,859,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible