I Was Told There'd Be Cake: Essays by…

I Was Told There'd Be Cake: Essays (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Sloane Crosley

From despoiling an exhibit at the Natural History Museum to provoking the ire of her first boss to siccing the cops on her mysterious neighbor, Crosley can do no right despite the best of intentions--or perhaps because of them. Together, these essays create a startlingly funny and revealing portrait of a complex and utterly recognizable character that's aiming for the stars but hits the ceiling, and the inimitable city that has helped shape who she is.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:kristinhays
Title:I Was Told There'd Be Cake: Essays
Authors:Sloane Crosley
Info:Riverhead Trade (2008), Paperback, 230 pages

I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley (2008)

Did this one as an audio book, read by the author. It was a snarky memoir a la Jen Lancaster -- a Gen X (Y?) account of various incidents in her young life (20s) that would've been more entertaining if they weren't so mean or had some semblance of self-deprecation. From dealing with a Bridezilla to the inconvenience of volunteering, life lessons are learned, but they all seem to return to an ego-centric outlook. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
Narrative essays especially perfect for the woman in her 20s and 30s. I would like to transfer my funny into essays like this. ( )
  alyssajp | Jul 29, 2019 |
Not laugh-out-loud Sedaris, but entertaining essays for the East Coast liberal arts set. ( )
  Seafox | Jul 24, 2019 |
Laugh-out-loud on the subway good.

The search for one's first professional job is not unlike a magical love potion: when one wants to fall in love with the next thing one sees, one generally does. (The Ursula Cookie) ( )
  JennyArch | Jul 23, 2019 |
Humorous autobiographical essays. I particularly enjoyed her experiences as a Jew at Christian summer camp. Not much to say, to be honest. I'd read another book by her if I came across it, but I don't know that I'd actively seek it out. ( )
  melydia | Jul 19, 2019 |
As most New Yorkers have done, I have given serious and generous thought to the state of my apartment should I get killed during the day.

A collection of essays by best-selling author Sloane Crosley, that recounts many of her personal adventures.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,768,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible