The Beach House (2008)

by Jane Green

Known in Nantucket as the crazy woman who lives in the rambling house atop the bluff, Nan doesn't care what people think. At sixty-five-years old, her husband died twenty years ago, her beauty has faded, and her family has flown. If her neighbors are away, why shouldn't she skinny dip in their swimming pools and help herself to their flowers? But when she discovers the money she thought would last forever is dwindling and she could lose her beloved house, Nan knows she has to make drastic changes. So Nan takes out an ad: Rooms to rent for the summer in a beautiful old Nantucket home with water views and direct access to the beach. Slowly, people start moving into the house, filling it with noise, with laughter, and with tears. As the house comes alive again, Nan finds her family expanding. Her son comes home for the summer, and then an unexpected visitor turns all their lives upside-down.… (more)
Recently added byRennie8888, kezzabear, kingmob2
    Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg (whimsicalkitten)
    whimsicalkitten: If you like Elizabeth Berg, you'll love the Beach House.
    Delicious by Ruth Reichl (tandah)
    The Beach Club by Elin Hilderbrand (sandykaypax)

English (69)  Spanish (2)  All languages (71)
Delightful summer beach read. The individual stories of the families who come to stay with Nan, an older energetic woman, become entangled with the characters engaging and supporting each other during their summer together. ( )
  marquis784 | Feb 15, 2020 |
A light, summer read. ( )
  abergsman | Mar 20, 2018 |
Don't bother with this book. I'm returning it to the library half read. I just can't wade through the rest of it. I checked reviews today and confirmed what I suspected: it won't get better. If this is chick-lit, I don't want to read any more of this genre. If it's not that genre, I don't know what it is. The only halfway interesting character in the book is Nan. The rest are dysfunctional couples and others that seem way too Peyton Place. I can't find a thing to keep me listening to this on CD. I guess there's a niche for this sort of story, but I sincerely hope readers of this type of book evolve as they age.

Life is too short to read mediocre books. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
This is a perfect vacation or beach,summer read! Very nice story and a very good read.A story of friends and family,life changes. I had not heard of this author until I came to shelfari.I will be reading more of her books in future! The ending was partially predictable,but I did not expect the "twist" toward the end!Highly recommended! ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Not her best. Too many coincidences, even for a good read. ( )
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |
Fans might argue that books like this are “just for fun,” but I’d counter that trashy beach reads needn’t be logically inconsistent and devoid of surprises. This type of fiction must have a Lifetime Network/Desperate Housewives kind of so-bad-it’s-good appeal for her many readers, but for someone unaccustomed to “chick lit” dreck, it’s so bad it’s just bad.

To Ian Warburg
For being my home
The bike crunches along the gravel path, weaving around the potholes that could present danger to someone who didn't know the road like the back of their hand.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0718148274, 0141022035

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,435,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible