Slightly Shady by Amanda Quick

Slightly Shady (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Amanda Quick (Author)

Series: Lake & March (1)

Amanda Quick's trademark is a bestselling combination of suspense, passion, and sparkling wit in historical tales alight with intrigue. Now she serves up the most tantalizing novel of her career as an enterprising woman allies herself with a mysterious spy, only to be caught up in a torrid brew of treachery–and temptation.... SLIGHTLY SHADY From the moment the stranger burst into her antiquities shop in Rome, Lavinia Lake knew he was nothing but trouble. He said he was in pursuit of a killer. He swore he was only trying to save her. Yet Lavinia was convinced that Mr. Tobias March was bent instead on destroying her. When the self-described spy hustled her all the way back to England, Lavinia vowed she would find a way to repay him in full. She never dreamed that Mr. March had in fact been telling the truth, that he had been hired to track down a powerful villain. And just as his investigation was heating up, he found it complicated by the most ungovernable, exasperating–and slightly shady–woman he had ever met. Lavinia most certainly never dreamed they would meet again, forced into partnership under shocking circumstances–or that their fiery disputes would spark a sizzling desire as overwhelming as the danger they faced....… (more)
Member:KateFaceAtl
Title:Slightly Shady
Authors:Amanda Quick (Author)
Info:Bantam (2001), 352 pages
Collections:Diane Ayers, Your library

Slightly Shady by Amanda Quick (2001)

English (7)  Czech (1)  All languages (8)
This is undeniably what one must call a "trashy novel" - a murder/mystery romance with a hearty dash of sex and a good deal of talk of current fashions.... but surprisingly modern and 'liberated' in its character portrayals - if not terribly realistic. A very quick read (hence the pseudonym? ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Normally, I really enjoy Quick's books, but this one just felt phoned in - the relationships and emotions felt contrived. I had been reading everything she published for awhile and about when this came out, I stopped. I got back into Quick through the Arcane Society novels which I have been really enjoying - this actually felt like a bit of a test run for those. I can't decide if I should continue with the Lake/March novels or not - I may try one more. This makes two disappointing romances in a row from authors I've previously enjoyed (Nora Roberts was the other). I hope whatever I read next is better! ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
Sharp tongued and shrewish, widow Lavina Lake is not the most appealing of heroines. Her relationship with private investigator Tobias March is prickly and fraught with raised voices from the very beginning when he lays waste to her shop in Rome. Reacquainted in London, the pair are thrown together in the course of a desperate search for a serial killer with the odd habit of modeling wax into threats.

Not my favorite of Quick's characters - Lavina comes off as a rude, pushy woman, and Tobias a bit too long-suffering. ( )
  SunnySD | Mar 11, 2012 |
An enterprising woman allies herself with a mysterious spy, only to be caught up in a torrid brew of treachery--and temptation....

From the moment the stranger burst into her antiquities shop in Rome, Lavinia Lake knew he was nothing but trouble. He said he was in pursuit of a killer. He swore he was only trying to save her. Yet Lavinia was convinced that Mr. Jobias March was bent instead on destroying her. When the self described spy hustled her all the way back to England, Lavinia vowed she would find a way to repay him in full. She never dreamed that Mr. March had in fact been telling the truth, that he had been hired to track down a powerful villain. And just as his investigation was heating up, he found it complicated by the most ungovernable, exasperating--and slightly shady--woman he had ever met. Lavinia most certainly never dreamed they would meet again, forced into partnership under shocking circumstances--or that their fiery disputes would spark a sizzling desire as overwhelming as the danger they faced.... ( )
  amarynt | Jul 28, 2010 |
Two Minute Review for “Slightly Shady” by Amanda Quick

Tobias March is a private investigator who runs afoul of Lavinia Lake. This cantankerous little lady believes he is out to ruin her life. I would have loved to have listened to them fight. Every conversation was smart, snappy and with a ready to rumble attitude. I really like the energy of the novel. Yes, it is a romance but it also had elements of an old time mystery. No forensics, blood work or DNA evidence required. ( )
  mary1963 | May 17, 2010 |

Quick, Amandaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mateo, ElsaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Frank, with all my love
The intruder's eyes blazed with a cold fire.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,098,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible