Findings by Kathleen Jamie

Findings (2005)

by Kathleen Jamie

I have been looking forward to reading this book since I read its equally brilliant sequel/companion piece Sightlines last year. Jamie brings a quiet poetic eye to her observations of both the natural world and modern humanity, making many intriguing connections.

She succeeds in making a beautiful and unified whole from essays on a very varied set of subjects, ranging from the nature of darkness, birdwatching, remote uninhabited Scottish islands, the view from Edinburgh's Calton Hill and a museum of surgical specimens, to name just a few, while making perceptive observations on the connections with her own life. ( )
  bodachliath | Apr 3, 2019 |
Sightlines still my favourite but loved a lot of these pieces - been re-reading a lot of them or just dipping in, which is why it's taken so long to finish. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
This was accessible and quick to read, although the ideas described will not be so fast to assimilate. It is fascinating what clues there are to navigation that we overlook. The amount of information available can be staggering, but it takes practice to master the techniques required. It has opened my eyes to the possibilities, even though I'm unlikely to be venturing off into the wilderness without the relevant equipment just yet.
  Tselja | Oct 21, 2014 |
An interesting read. Jamie's prose is unhurried and soothing; her desire to understand the world around her inspirational. However, despite the mellow tone of this book, some of the subject matter is uncomfortable - particularly the essay about Surgeon's Hall. ( )
  cazfrancis | Jan 28, 2014 |
Absolutely marvellous. A series of essays, mostly centred on the observation of wildlife and the environment, uplifting language and deeply sympathetic. Kathleen Jamie is a poet but these are poetic prose, and not without humour. ( )
1 vote lexieconyngham | Aug 19, 2013 |

Whether Kathleen Jamie is following the call of a peregrine in the hills above her home in Fife, sailing into a dark winter solstice on the Orkney islands, or pacing around the carcass of a whale on a rain-swept Hebridean beach she creates a subtle and modern narrative.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,223,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible