dismiss

The Stonekeeper (2008)

by Kazu Kibuishi

Series: Amulet (Kibuishi) (1)

"After the tragic death of their father, Emily and Navin move with their mother to the home of her deceased great-grandfather, but the strange house proves to be dangerous. Before long, a sinister creature lures the kids' mom through a door in the basement. Em and Navin, desperate not to lose her, follow her into an underground world inhabited by demons, robots, and talking animals. Eventually, they enlist the help of a small mechanical rabbit named Miskit. Together with Miskit, they face the most terrifying monster of all, and Em finally has the chance to save someone she loves" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

English (170)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (172)
I can totally understand why this series is beloved by hundreds of thousands of children and adults, unfortunately, I am not one of them. The story is intriguing and most of the characters are relateable and adorable, but unfortunately I struggled to connect with any of them.

There are many very obvious reasons for this, I am not a mother, nor am I an 8 year old boy, a 10 year old girl, or an adorable pink rabbit. I'm sure my sister would say that I was a lot like Em, bossy and determined to be a grown-up and in charge, when I was 10 years old, and so I'm sure, if Kazu Kibuishi had written the Amulet series when I was 10, or even 15, I would have been one of those children lining up to pre-order the next installment, but alas, the graphic novel was not the new form of children's media establishing itself on the literary scene when I was a tween.

So please. if you are a 10 year old girl, or the parent of a 10 year old girl, please run out and buy her all the volumes of Amulet and encourage her to love and read them, but if you are, like me, a teacher of 10 year girls, it is worth reading the first one so you know what your students are talking about, but it might not be your new favorite graphic novel (especially if you've just read Giant Days, Saga, etc!) ( )
  smorton11 | Oct 29, 2022 |
A really quick and entertaining read! If you're ever in a reading slump, this is the perfect series to get you out! ( )
  BooksbyStarlight | Oct 25, 2022 |
Short graphic novel for children, first in a series. Action and fantasy. Colour illustrations. I particularly found the luminescent tree inside the entrance to the grandfather's house imaginative. ( )
  AChild | Sep 25, 2022 |
This fantastical YA graphic novel follows two siblings in a world of monsters, robots, and talking animals as they set of on a quest to rescue their mother, who was abducted by a mysterious creature after the family moved in to their great-grandfather's haunted mansion. We follow Emily and Navin as they navigate their ways around the strange new world fighting monsters and befriending strangers. Overall, a fun read. The world building is compelling, storytelling is strong, and characters are well developed. Lots of action and good dialogue. Great illustrations as well. This volume is the first of 8, with more to come. The rest of the series continues their explorations of the new alien world.
  DYangg | Jul 28, 2022 |
Great adventure story -- love the robots, the wonderful and creepy parts of the world so far, and the strong family bonds. The death of Emily and Navin's father was really upsetting, but does add a believable motivation for Emily's later choices. Nailbiter! Cliffhanger! Interested to see what happens next. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
For all its flaws, this is a well-written book. It’s quick-paced and keeps your interest from the first page until the last. You don’t have to worry about young readers getting bored in the middle and not finishing the book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,000,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible