Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking by…

Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking (edition 1983)

by Madhur Jaffrey

449None23,202 (4.25)9
Member:margad
Title:Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking
Authors:Madhur Jaffrey
Info:Barron's Educational Series (1983), Paperback
Tags:Cookbook

Madhur Jaffrey Indian Cooking by Madhur Jaffrey

The book which accompanied the hugely successful BBC series in the 1980s. Very reliable and easy to follow recipes for Indian home cooking. The black-eyed beans with mushrooms (Lobhia aur khumbi) are a regular feature for me and the biriyani dishes are tip top for entertaining.
  Carrie.deSilva | Aug 28, 2011 |
Before you begin cooking the wonderful, fool-proof recipes in this book, consider getting a recipe book stand. I used this book so often, mine was covered in curry, dog-eared, and even had a broken spine. So I just purchased another copy, along with that stand. Hope I can keep this copy. I have many books on Indian cooking, but this is the one I go time after time. I've given copies to friends and family--too many requests for the recipe for the dish! Get this book and get cooking! ( )
  ShirlKReads | Jan 30, 2010 |
I learned to cook Indian from this book while I was living in England. Madhur Jaffrey had a cooking show on British TV and this was the cookbook from that show. It is a wonderful introduction to Indian cooking. The recipes are consistent and easy to follow. I still use this as my one and only source for Indian cooking. This is one of the last cookbooks I would be willing to lend or lose. ( )
  klaidlaw | May 2, 2009 |
Just got a second hand copy of this - I lent my original copy years ago to sister and never got it back. Back in the 80's I learned Indian cookery from this book - some really tasty recipes - coriander soup - to die for!! - so glad to have it again. ( )
  happyanddandy1 | Jul 19, 2007 |
The only essential cookbook in my kitchen. I'm on my second copy, and have bought several copies for other people... ( )
  andyx | Apr 19, 2007 |

Chef magazine called this book's author "the best-known ambassador of Indian food in the United States" . . . and the Boston Herald referred to her as "the renowned author and actress [who] teaches home cooks about the sophistication and infinite diversity of Indian fare." The New York Times described her simply and succinctly as "the Indian cuisine authority." For many years a best-selling cookbook, Madhur Jaffrey's seminal title on Indian cuisine now has been totally revised, redesigned, enlarged, and enhanced with 70 brand-new full-color photos. With chapters on meat, poultry, fish, and vegetables, as well as pulses, relishes, chutneys, and pickles, the author guides her readers through the delicious and colorful range of Indian food. More than 100 detailed recipes direct home chefs through step-by-step preparation of well-known classics like Tandoori-style Chicken and Naan Bread, as well as more unusual dishes including Salmon Steamed with Mustard Seeds and Tomato and Drunken Orange Slices. Ms. Jaffrey also presents comprehensive background information on spices and seasonings, kitchen equipment, authentic preparation techniques, and suggested menus. Taste-tempting color photos show prepared dishes.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:57 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible