The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich…

The Cost of Discipleship (1937)

by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Series: Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works (4)

6,31531987 (4.33)30
What can the call to discipleship, the adherence to the word of Jesus, mean today to the businessman, the soldier, the laborer, or the aristocrat? What did Jesus mean to say to us? What is his will for us today? Drawing on the Sermon on the Mount, Dietrich Bonhoeffer answers these timeless questions by providing a seminal reading of the dichotomy between "cheap grace" and "costly grace."… (more)

I'm rather disappointed that this book is not nearly as accessible as I'd hoped it would be. I was very excited about reading it, but there is so much of it that makes little to no sense to me. I gave up about a third of the way in. I'm not going to torture myself with this any longer. ( )
  Adam_Z | Mar 19, 2018 |
Book is about stripping away the needless bombast, rules, and regulations from Sunday preaching that obscures the simple need to preach the Gospel and follow Jesus. We are to hold onto costly grace as individuals for we are called as individuals but God also calls us to the community, which nurtures us through Lord's Supper and ushers into the death of Christ through baptism. Jesus Christ is our mediator so the Christian doesn't look at the world directly but through Christ Jesus. Bonhoeffer gives a lot of time to focusing on the moralistic discourse found in Matthew and gives the Christian no room of wiggling out of it.
  Julianreid17 | Feb 22, 2018 |
Not convinced by everything he says but I do agree with his overall point that Christianity is not for the faint of heart or the Sunday morning Christian. The price of being a Christian is everything. Bonhoeffer words are a stern indictment of contempory American Christianity. I just wish it had a greater sense of the much more significant GAIN the true believer finds in Christ alone. "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to GAIN what he cannot lose." Bonhoeffer frequently misses the gain. I know he was a martyr I just wish he didn't sound so much like one:) ( )
  KenMcLain | Jul 18, 2017 |
I am writing this review in the anniversary of Bonhoeffer's execution in 1945. I can't add much to the many words that have been written about this except to say that Bonhoeffer insists that discipleship must be life changing and life controlling or it is an illusion. Powerful and complex. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
Absolutely a reason this is a modern classic. This will challenge you and call you to follow Jesus closer. ( )
  HGButchWalker | Sep 21, 2016 |

Dietrich Bonhoefferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Booth, IrmgardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fuller, Reginald HoraceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metaxas, EricForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michael, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Niebuhr, ReinholdForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[Bonhoefer, Introduction:] "Revival of church life always brings in its train a richer understanding of the Scriptures. Behind all the slogans and catchwords of ecclesiastical controversy, necessary though they are, there arises a more determined quest for him who is the sole object of it all, for Jesus Christ himself."
"When Christ calls a man he bids him come and die."

Library binding, hardback

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,120,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible