The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich…

The Cost of Discipleship (original 1937; edition 1995)

by Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Author)

What can the call to discipleship, the adherence to the word of Jesus, mean today to the businessman, the soldier, the laborer, or the aristocrat? What did Jesus mean to say to us? What is his will for us today? Drawing on the Sermon on the Mount, Dietrich Bonhoeffer answers these timeless questions by providing a seminal reading of the dichotomy between "cheap grace" and "costly grace."… (more)
Member:DavidRBoone
Title:The Cost of Discipleship
Authors:Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Author)
Info:Touchstone (1995), Edition: 1st, 320 pages

Work Information

The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich BONHOEFFER (Author) (1937)

English (42)  Catalan (1)  All languages (43)
The Cost of Discipleship is a compelling statement of the demands of sacrifice and ethical consistency from a man whose life and thought were exemplary articulations of a new type of leadership inspired by the Gospel, and imbued with the spirit of Christian humanism and a creative sense of civic duty.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Jul 27, 2022 |
Bonhoeffer, who takes his inspiration from the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew, makes what I would call the ultimate challenge for Christians. Nobody can live up to this, just like no one can ever achieve Christ's perfection, but Bohoeffer challenges us to get as close as we can get.

The book can be kind of a downer at times since we all can see how short we come of the goal. Bonhoeffer would have (did?) freely admit his own shortcomings, but that's not the point here. If we do evaluate ourselves then we are seeking out of our own ego, not Christ's, so the effort is pointless. By keeping your eye constantly on Christ you will achieve the most you can, as long as you do freely repent of those times when you did not keep your focus there.

Dense in theology and philosophy the book is not an easy read on an intellectual level. I wouldn't recommend for novice Christians but only for so-called "mature" Christians. ( )
  Gumbywan | Jun 24, 2022 |
Dense. I will need to read this again, slower. I picked up enough to know that this will be beneficial to anybody who puts in the effort and the time to read it properly. ( )
  Michael_J | Jun 2, 2022 |
Wow--this was so packed with profound ideas that I think I only absorbed and understood maybe 20% of the entire book. This is a book that needs read a chapter at a time with extensive note taking. To sum it up (and I will probably do it very badly), grace (God's unmerited favor) is not cheap. Bonhoffer believed the "church" had made grace just about lip service. I agree! Grace is difficult. How do you pay God back for what he has given or allowed you? I'm in awe of Bonhoffer, who was hanged by the Nazis in 1945. I will be rereading and studying this book more in detail at a later date. 322 pages ( )
  Tess_W | Sep 5, 2021 |

NIEBUHR, ReinholdForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Niebuhr, ReinholdForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

[Bonhoefer, Introduction:] "Revival of church life always brings in its train a richer understanding of the Scriptures. Behind all the slogans and catchwords of ecclesiastical controversy, necessary though they are, there arises a more determined quest for him who is the sole object of it all, for Jesus Christ himself."
"When Christ calls a man he bids him come and die."
“Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating. By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.”

What does obedience to the words of Jesus mean for each of us today? What did he actually say to us, call us to? Drawing on the Sermon on the Mount, Bonhoeffer answers timeless questions in a classic that illuminates the relationship between our daily lives and the teachings of Jesus".Cheap grace is the grace we bestow on ourselves...grace without...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,957,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible