The Lilac Bus: A Novel by Maeve Binchy

The Lilac Bus: A Novel (original 1984; edition 1992)

by Maeve Binchy (Author)

The journey ... Every Friday night young Ron Fitzgerald's lilac-colored minibus leaves Dublin for the Irish country town of Rathdoon with seven weekend commuters on board. All of them, from the joking bank porter, Mikey Burns, who plays the buffoon while his brother makes a fortune in the family business, to the rich doctor's daughter, Dee Burke, who is having a secret affair with a married man, have their reasons for making the journey. The destination, Rathdoon, is the kind of Irish village where family histories are shared and scandals don't stay secret for long. And this weekend, when Tom's bus pulls in, the riders find the unexpected waiting for them ... as each of their very private lives unfolds to reveal a sharp betrayal of the heart, a young man's crime, and chance for new dreams among the eight intriguing men and women on ... The Lilac Bus.… (more)
Member:BooksForTroops
Title:The Lilac Bus: A Novel
Authors:Maeve Binchy (Author)
Info:Dell (1992), 400 pages
Collections:Standard Shelves

The Lilac Bus by Maeve Binchy (1984)

The Copper Beech by Maeve Binchy (MissBrangwen)
    MissBrangwen: Both books have a similar concept: Short stories on different persons, but all intertwined and bound up through their place of living and other aspects.
    The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister (wigsonthegreen)

English (17)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (20)
I just finished reading Olive Again by Elizabeth Stout and that got me thinking about Maeve’s books, which I read in the 90’s so they probably never got logged here. Lilac Bus is my favorite Maeve book. I’m going to assign it to 1999 until I figure out a more accurate date. ( )
  Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |
I started off liking this book. I thought it was a novel and was interested in the characters and all. However, the book flipped to a new set of characters, and then another story, and then a new set of characters, and so on. It was then when I sorely realized that I've been burned again by a short story book masquerading as a novel. I kicked myself by not researching it first, because I hate short stories. So if you hate them, like me, be forewarned. I wish I could recover the wasted time reading this. ( )
  AnnieMK | May 12, 2021 |
  Likeitorlumpit | Dec 3, 2016 |
A group of people take a bus home to Rathdoon from Dublin every weekend. Their stories inter connect. A very enjoyable collection.

The Dublin 4

I loved the Dinner In Donnybrook - Carmel was a lot sharper than people gave her credit.

The Flat in Ringsend was a disappointment. I hated the way it ended - no answers. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 27, 2016 |
This is an enjoyable group of stories by Maeve Binchy, and she weaves a good story (as always!) about everyone that goes back to the village of Rathdoon every Friday on the Lilac Bus. Each person is about to make some crucial adjustments in their life, or crucial decisions, you are just left wanting more. I, for one, wanted to know what happened next in their lives following these decisions. This is the problem of short stories for me - I always want more and want to know what happens next. Maeve Binchy's website does list it as a novel and whilst more than one of the characters appears in each story, I feel it is still a collection of stories rather than a novel. If you are a fan of Maeve Binchy or like well written short stories I would recommend this book to you. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |

Maeve Binchyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Binchy, KateReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my dear Gordon, with all my love
Nancy was early, but then she always was, and she didn't like being seen there too soon.

Poolbeg Press

An edition of this book was published by Poolbeg Press.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,336,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible