Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations (2008)

by Alex Harris, Brett Harris

The next generation stands on the brink of a "rebelution." With over 10 million hits to their website TheRebelution.com, Alex and Brett Harris are leading the charge in a growing movement of Christian young people who are rebelling against the low expectations of their culture by choosing to "do hard things" for the glory of God. Written when they were 18 years old, Do hard things is the Harris twins' revolutionary message in its purest and most compelling form, giving readers a tangible glimpse of what is possible for teens who actively resist cultural lies that limit their potential. Combating the idea of adolescence as a vacation from responsibility, the authors weave together biblical insights, history, and modern examples to redefine the teen years as the launching pad of life and map a clear trajectory for long-term fulfillment and eternal impact. Written by teens for teens, Do hard things is packed with humorous personal anecdotes, practical examples, and stories of real-life rebelutionaries in action.… (more)

This book surpassed my expectations! I picked it up at a thrift store, wasn't expecting much, but it was great! I loved it! Great encouragement for teens. One thing I didn't like, was that they put to much emphasis on doing the "big hard things", which not everyone is called to do, and has the ability to. But otherwise, very good! ( )
  SarahGraceGrzy | Oct 2, 2018 |
Neat ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Finally finished. The book is focused on encouraging its target audience to strike out and do things that sound difficult and I believe it mostly accomplishes this. I am not in that target audience and still was challenged by its message, overall. ( )
1 vote learn2laugh | Sep 14, 2014 |
I opened this book with a lot of reservation. Being the jaded, read-it-all, know-it-all college student who just left what seemed to be the Harris' overly focused audience (by turning 20), I wasn't sure how much I could get out of this book.
While I still think their focus might have been somewhat limiting, this apathy of low expectation seems to be infecting our entire populace, I can also see why the deliberate focus on teens shines an even stronger light on an even darker blind spot for a lot of people.
I also felt a little more removed from a percent of the content, especially early on, because of how politically involved the twins have been and how they used that for a lot of their examples. They balanced out a lot of their political examples, however, in the end; over all, I would have to admit that in the end their examples are even fairly gender balanced, which is another point that they could have missed.
Finally, the best point of this book is that YES I have been feeling exactly what they say in this book for the past few years of my life, and instead of finding this book ridiculously boring, I devoured it in two or three days! Not only was it enormously encouraging to me (I am not alone), but it also inspired me in a lot of ways to challenge myself and others around me who are not fulfilling our full potential. ( )
1 vote swampygirl | Dec 9, 2013 |
IN SHORT: Challenging people not to take the easy route in life.

WHO FOR: Aimed at teenagers (but for anyone), Christian or not.

THOUGHTS: At first I wasn't sure about the book. I felt it was a bit of pop-psychology and moralism. I was concerned the message was just 'Be-the-best-you-can-be-which-is-better-than-you-think.' Having pressed on with the book, my fears were unfounded. I would recommend that you read the appendix first. It explains that the book is for non-Christians as well as Christians. It functions like wisdom literature in that sense.
  nathan.burley | May 10, 2011 |

Harris, Alexprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, Brettmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Norris, ChuckForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

To our parents, Gregg and Sono Harris.
This book is the message of your lives.
Our triumph is your triumph. We love you.
Most people don't expect you to understand what we're going to tell you in this book.

A growing movement of young people is rebelling against the low expectations of today's culture by choosing to "do hard things" for the glory of God.

...

Combating the idea of adolescence as a vacation from responsibility, the authors weave together biblical insights, history, and modern examples to redefine the teen years as the launching pad of life. Then they map out five powerful ways teens can respond for personal and social change.

Written by teens for teens, Do Hard Things is packed with humorous personal anecdotes, practical examples, and stories of real-life rebelutionaries in action. This rallying cry from the heart of an already-happening teen revolution challenges a generation to lay claim to a brighter future, starting today.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,053,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible