Tripwire (Jack Reacher, No. 3) by Lee Child

Tripwire (Jack Reacher, No. 3) (edition 1999)

by Lee Child

Former military policeman Major Jack Reacher goes to the rescue of a 30-year-old woman lawyer he last saw when she was 15. She is the daughter of Reacher's late commanding officer and some nasty land swindlers want her dead. By the author of Die Trying.
Member:HenriMoreaux
Title:Tripwire (Jack Reacher, No. 3)
Authors:Lee Child
Info:Jove (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction, Kobo, Read
Rating:***
Tags:crime/murder, mystery/suspense, vietnam, americas, united states of america, asia, military/war, read in 2019

Tripwire by Lee Child

Recently added byDavidEves, private library, drewfull, dfazzi23, TonyAnderson, rena75, N.D.R., markjx

English (83)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  All languages (87)
This has all the elements of what should be an exciting and enthralling book, yet when contrasted with the 5 prior books (by chronology) it is instead rather dull. Once again Reacher stumbles into a situation through no fault of his own, once again he hooks up with the main female character of the story and once again said woman he's interested in is taken hostage.

The idea behind the story is reasonably novel, but the presentation and plot really just let things down, it left me feeling rather bored just plodding away waiting to see if things turned out as expected and for the most part they did. The Chester Stone subplot helped maintain interest a little but overall it just felt like a formulatic rehash of where the Reacher character has been before.

I guess at least he has a house now, so maybe the cliched drifter aspect will evolve to something more now. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Oct 9, 2019 |
Jack "No Middle Name" Reacher is back. This time as a Key West pool digger. He digs polls by hand, as unlikely as that sounds, and enjoys his anonymity and unfettered lifestyle. Physical labor and an on again-off again girlfriend agree with him until one day the peace is shattered. A strange private investigator all the way from New York comes nosing around, asking questions about Jack. The plot thickens when this same PI is found murdered only hours after snooping into Jack's life. By now, if you read the other books in the series, you know Jack isn't one to shrug and turn back to his daily routine. Compelled to figure out who has been asking about him and why (never mind who killed the private investigator), Jack makes his way back to New York and into a past he thought he had put behind him.
Tripwire takes Jack back to Vietnam and old war memories resurface. He visiting the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command center in Hawaii looking for answers. Of course he isn't alone. Along for the ride is his former command officer's daughter because someone wants her dead... ( )
  SeriousGrace | Sep 26, 2019 |
Like the first two, a fun story. This one was more than a little cringeworthy though with Reacher's extended reminiscing over his feelings for a 15-year old. Also the usual tiring right-wing propaganda that has nothing to do with the story: economies spontaneously began with barter and naturally developed currencies; life is less valuable to Vietnamese Communists than it is to red-blooded Americans, etc. Sigh. And must every male character other than Reacher be a comic villain or spineless wonder? ( )
  shum57 | Jul 22, 2019 |
This is the 3rd book in the Jack Reacher series. This was a real page turner my favorite kind of book. I was hooked from the first page to the last page. Looking forward to reading the next book in this series. ( )
  CurlUpAndRead | Jun 10, 2019 |
I CAN NOT BELIEVE IT, HE TOPPED THE LAST BOOK! I was GLUED to my chair with this one, but I love everything he writes. Now I must read the next book to see what Jack is up to next! ( )
  HOTCHA | Apr 19, 2019 |

Lee Childprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bellis, AndersTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my daughter, Ruth. Once the world's greatest kid, now a woman I'm proud to call my friend.
Hook Hobie owed the whole of his life to a secret nearly thirty years old.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,944,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible