Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Accidental by Ali Smith

The Accidental (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Ali Smith (Author)

2,407973,914 (3.2)1 / 321
Member:srfudji
Title:The Accidental
Authors:Ali Smith (Author)
Info:Penguin (2006), Edition: 1st Penguin edition, 305 pages
Tags:Pending

The Accidental by Ali Smith (2005)

Recently added bysayyid, AntoniaComrie, Ashley_Hoss_820, KensalRiseLibrary, private library, rena75, gallsally
    Bee Season by Myla Goldberg (sharlene_w)
    The Past by Tessa Hadley (shaunie)
    shaunie: Both feature families retreating to an idyllic summer house, but Hadley's book thankfully doesn't have the clever-clever touches which sometimes mar Smith's work.
    Swimming Home by Deborah Levy (kitzyl)
    kitzyl: A family on holiday whose lives are disrupted and changed forever by a mysterious interloper. The author is known for being experimental with literary styles.
    Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (Sarasamsara)

English (93)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (97)
Ali Smith has left me discombobulated with this novel, which I have to admit is the calling card of a great writer.

That's not to say I completely loved it; for the first quarter or so I had to make a big effort to stay with it, mostly because I didn't like the characters. The horrible adolescent daughter. The depressed teenage son. The can't-keep-it-in-his-pants stepdad. The pathetic mother. And the setting of a miserable summer rental in an ugly village in Norfolk. So far, so bleak. In fact, it was that gritty British bleakness and the detachment of the family members from each other that turned me off this novel the first time I attempted to read it (and abandoned it).

Once the mysterious Amber appears, it starts to gather pace into an edgy psychological read, and we're thrown all over the place trying to figure out who she is and what she's doing in the middle of the family. That's done very well - she confuses the hell out of you as a reader for a while.

The writing was very, very good, but at times the conscious playing with narrative form irritated me, like Smith was trying so hard to intellectualise and get on that Booker list. And whilst she was clever at getting into the adolescent Astrid's head, often I found it an annoying 12 year old head to be in.

All in all, if you'd ask me would I read another Smith at the end of the first half I'd probably have answered no. But the second half was brilliant and had me reeled right in, desperate to find out where on earth it was all going. So yes - I probably don't love Ali Smith just yet, but there's enough there to tempt me to look at her latest novels if they come my way.

4 stars - clever and unsettling. I'll be thinking about this one for a while. ( )
  AlisonY | Feb 14, 2019 |
This book was very quirky, and there were large parts of it that I really enjoyed... but there were also parts that just seemed totally irrelevant and confusing. I was enjoying it, and then the end happened and now I just don’t know.

The writing is so good. The family is dysfunctional, but in the way that many are today. I think if I wasn’t so baffled, this would have been a solid pick. ( )
  sprainedbrain | Jul 3, 2018 |
Chapters are told alternately by members of the Smart family. Each one is candid, distinctive, yet prosaic. They deliver their narration in stream of consciousness style, recording each thought, memory, no matter how trifling. The collective accounts provide the complete story of events in the summer of 2003 as if from under a microscope. I can appreciate the quirky ingenuity in Smith's writing but ultimately found the novel unsatisfying and more like a writing class exercise. I wanted more interaction, fewer bodily functions. ( )
  VivienneR | Jun 21, 2018 |
Very difficult to read but reveals humour and other treasures at a second attempt. ( )
  Lit.Lover | Apr 29, 2018 |
Urg! The Accidental by Ali Smith will not be among my list of favorite books of the year by any means, I really struggled with this one. I felt that although the author’s writing was stellar, the book felt like she was showing the rest of us how intelligent she is and the result felt more like a writing experiment than a novel. I saw one review that called this book original, restless and morally challenging and I would agree with all of that, although to me these were not necessarily compliments.

Although the story started out interestingly enough, it all too soon descended into a pointless, affected and difficult to read conglomeration of clever words and phrases. At the half way point in the book, I realized that I really didn’t have a clue as to what was going on nor did I care. I did struggle on but I more or less skimmed the last half of the book. The Accidental won many book awards and received gushing reviews from the critics so I am going to assume the fault lies with me and that this was simply too challenging a read for me at this time. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 21, 2018 |
Ms. Smith can do suicidal teenage angst and middle-aged ennui, a 12-year-old's sardonic innocence and an aging Lothario's randy daydreams with equal aplomb. And in riffing on the stream of consciousness form, pioneered by such high-brow litterateurs as Joyce and Woolf, she manages to make it as accessible and up to the minute (if vastly more entertaining) as talk radio or an Internet chat room.

The awkwardness of the novel's moralizing is all the more disconcerting given its fine, lustrous texture on the page. Smith is a wizard at observing and memorializing the ebb and flow of the everyday mind — Astrid musing that "hurtling sounds like a little hurt being, like earthling, like something aliens from another planet would land on earth and call human beings who have been a little bit hurt." The close-up is Smith's forte. Her long shots need a little work.

Smith, Aliprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alfsen, MereteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, RuthNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, StinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Neill, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Between the experience of living a normal life at this moment on the planet and the public narratives being offered to give a sense to that life, the empty space, the gap, is enormous" -John Berger/

"Shallow uniformity is not an accident but a consequence of what Marxists optimistically call late capitalism" -Nick Cohen/

"The whole history dwindled soon into a matter of little importance but to Emma and her nephews:-- in her imagination it maintained its ground, and Henry and John were still asking every day for the story of Harriet and the gypsies, and still tenaciously setting her right if she varied in the slightest particular from the original recital" -Jane Austen/

"Many are the things that man Seeing must understand. Not seeing, how shall he know What lies in the hand Of time to come?" - Sophocles/

"My artistry is a bit austere." -Charlie Chaplin/
for Philippa Reed, high hopes/ Inuk Hoff Hansen, far away so close/Sarah Wood, The wizard of us
My mother began me one evening in 1968 on a table in the cafe of the town's only cinema.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141010398, Paperback)

Before writing The Accidental, Ali Smith wrote Hotel World, shortlisted for both the Orange Prize and the Man Booker Prize, and several short story collections. Her work is absolutely original, with a trademark quirky style, with whole passages that seem to have been bound into the wrong book and occasional historical asides completely outside the narrative line. Don't be fooled; with Smith, every word has a purpose.

Amber is the catalyst who makes the novel happen. She appears on the doorstep of the Smart's rented summer cottage in Norfolk, England, barefoot and unexpected. Eve Smart, a third-rate author suffering writer's block, believes that she is a friend of her husband's. Michael is a womanizing University professor, but he doesn't usually drag his quarry home. He thinks that she must be a friend of Eve's. Everyone is politely confused and Amber is invited to dinner. She is a consummate liar and manipulator who manages to seduce everyone in the family in some significant way.

Magnus, Eve's 17-year-old son from a former marriage and Astrid, her 12-year-old daughter, are easy prey. Magnus is in despair. He played a prank on a classmate and it went horribly wrong when she killed herself because of the humiliation it caused. He cannot shake the guilt and is about to hang himself from the shower rod when Amber walks into the bathroom, the perfect deus ex machina. She bathes him and takes him back downstairs, announcing that she found him trying to kill himself. Everyone titters. Could it be possible? This is a recurring question as Amber's behavior becomes more and more outrageous. Is this really happening, or is it some family-wide delusion? To add to the mystery, there is a Rashomon-like character to the story in that the same events are recalled by the Smarts through their own filters.

This is a completely engrossing novel that raises as many questions as it answers. --Valerie Ryan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:02 -0400)

'The accidental' pans in on the Norfolk holiday home of the Smart family one hot summer. There, a beguiling stranger called Amber appears at the door bearing all sorts of unexpected gifts, trampling over family boundaries and sending each of the Smarts scurrying from the dark into the light.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141010398, 0143566504, 0241954568

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,515,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible