You Had Me at Good-bye (Drama Queens Series…

You Had Me at Good-bye (Drama Queens Series #2) (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Tracey Bateman

Member:judyg54
Title:You Had Me at Good-bye (Drama Queens Series #2)
Authors:Tracey Bateman
Info:FaithWords (2008), Paperback, 275 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Traded

You Had Me at Good-bye by Tracey Bateman (2006)

This author has taken a story that has a realistic view of life and all its up and downs, but at the same time can write it in a way that makes me smile and laugh out loud at times. I am enjoying this series. Each book could be read as a stand alone, but this series is about three young women who share an apartment, so each book compliments the others.

Dancy Ames loves her job at Lane Publishing House; that is until British editor Jack Quinn starts working there. He is way to handsome for his own good, and Dancy feels he is not supporting the work she is doing. It doesn't help that he has known Dancy since she was a teenager, as her brother's best friend. Suddenly Dancy finds she is without a job, has a step-brother she never knew about, and her parents are getting back together again.

There is a lot going on in this story and I loved getting to know Dancy in this story. She had a lot to work through, and the "fairy-tale" ending was great. Be sure to read the Author's Note at the end of the book, as she does a really good job of telling you the message behind the story. It was also very good. ( )
  judyg54 | Oct 11, 2018 |
Books by Bateman are perfect to read when you are sick. Light and fluffy. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Dancy is an editor for a fiction publisher. Well she is until she makes a snafu with the company's top author and is fired from her job. To make do while she finds a new job, she helps out a coffee house and writes in her novel that's semi autobiographical. She's just found out she has a new younger half brother, her parents are getting back together, her older brother is getting married, and her cousin is trying to make the moves on the one guy with who Dancy has a love/hate relationship. Does it makes things worse if the guy is cute, British and the one that fired Dancy?

I think I enjoyed this book even more than the first one in the series. This book included pretty much everything I like: books, food, and British guys. I really liked Dancy's character. She had a job I loved and also had a heart for helping others. I really enjoyed learning about the publishing world through this book. It was interesting learning to see how fiction books are acquired and what is needed to make it big in the nonfiction side. Also I want to read Dancy's book! The excerpts in the beginning of the chapters were fun to read and made want to get the whole book. Jack and Dancy's chemistry was excellent in this book. Who can resist cute British guys? I mean, that accent alone would just make my heart flutter every time I hear it.

Oh and I loved reading about Laini's culinary creations. I was dying to try out her cinnamon rolls or her ham and cheese roll ups. If I was her roommate I think I would probably have to restrain myself or else I'd be moving up a dress size. I think it was great to read about New York socialites and the absurd standards they push upon themselves. I wanted to yell at Dancy for complaining about how fat she was at a size 4. Of course she finally does accept that being stick thin is not good for her but it's just sad to see how society keeps pushing the thin is in mindset. I loved Dancy's brother because he was such a rebel compared to the rest of the put together family. It was sad though that the parent figures in this book weren't very good role models for their children. As the first chick lit read of the year, I had a rollicking good time reading it. Laini's book needs to come out now because I cannot wait to read it! ( )
  mrsjason | Sep 22, 2011 |
This was a pretty good book. It dragged in places, but overall it was a good read. Christian Fiction books are always a bit lacking, but I think Tracey Bateman is a good writer compared to others I have read. ( )
  swilliams1203 | Jul 23, 2009 |
These books are like cotton candy--with a nugget of healthy stuff in the middle. This second installment of the 'Drama Queens' series focuses on Dancy--the roommate who works at a publishing company and loves her job--but dislikes the stress that some of her coworkers (namely Jack Quinn) pile onto her. So when things get rocky at work--and Jack seems to be getting ahead while Dancy is getting nowhere, she seriously considers leaving. Dancy is also having troubles with her family where one unexpected revelation after another has got her head spinning. Fortunately Dancy has the support of her two roommates--and some unexpected attention from Jack, who may not be quite the rival that he seems. Of course by the end of the book Dancy's problems will find happy solutions--especially her romantic ones. But it is oh so fun to watch her journey--and along the way to see what lessons of faith she learns as well.
I hearily recommend this to fans of Christian fiction who enjoy the lightheartedness of chick lit. ( )
  debs4jc | Jul 14, 2009 |

Everything is on the line for aspiring editorial diva Dancy Ames when she's fired by her publisher. Could this be the time to risk it all on her writing career--and maybe even love?

Dancy Ames has an enemy: Jack Quinn. The man who swoops in, steals her dream job at Lane Publishing, and fires her, saying she just doesn't have what it takes to be an editor. Now that she's unemployed, Dancy must find a new career. Coffee barista, English teacher, literary agent. Hmm. Maybe she'll write a novel--a nasty invective, featuring a relentless job-stealing, coffee-drinking stalker who falls in love with a coffee barista. She's got time on her hands, so when her friends dare her to send Jack a proposal, under an assumed name, she takes them up on it. If he likes it, she'll have her ultimate revenge. But what will she do when it turns out that Jack is interested in her book--and maybe more?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:43 -0400)

"Aspiring editorial diva Dancy Ames must find a new life when she's fired by her publisher. Could this be the time to risk it all on her writing career--and maybe even love?"--Provided by the publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,915,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible