SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Shadows and light by Anne Bishop

Shadows and light (edition 2002)

by Anne Bishop

Series: Tir Alainn Trilogy (2)

New York Times bestselling author Anne Bishop weaves a dazzling tale of romance, high adventure, and thrilling fantasy in the second novel in the Tir Alainn Trilogy...   Ever since the slaughter of the witches, the Fae--who should be shielding their long-lost cousins from danger--have ignored the needs of the rest of the world. And shadows are again gathering in the eastern villages--dark, potent shadows that threaten the lives of every witch, woman, and Fae. Only three Fae can stand against the growing madness and help prevent more bloodshed--the Bard, the Muse, and the Gatherer of Souls.   Aiden, the Bard, knows how desperately the world depends upon the Fae's protection. But the Fae refuse to heed his warnings about the wickedness lurking amid the trees. Now Aiden and his one true love--Lyrra, the Muse--must embark on a perilous journey to find the one Fae who can convince the rest to leave their secure perches to save the witches and mortals. Because if the Fae don't act soon, no one will survive...… (more)
Member:jpomes
Title:Shadows and light
Authors:Anne Bishop
Info:New York : Roc, [2002]
Tags:fantasy fiction, fiction, paperback

Work Information

Shadows and Light by Anne Bishop

I usually love Anne Bishop but this series just does not work for me at all. I find the story confusing and sort of boring and I cannot relate to the characters at all. I feel like this series gets worse as it progresses. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
To read more reviews in this series and others, check out keikii eats books!

68 points/100 (3 ½ stars)

More witches are falling, and evil is gaining more of a foothold is Sylvalan. The Bard, the Muse, and the Gatherer of Souls are some of the only fae with the desire to stop it. Add in a ragtag group of humans and witches, spread across the land, and things are starting to look hopeless.

Shadows and Light was one really long transition book. It suffers from middle child syndrome quite heavily. Nothing really happens. We just got more of what happened in book one, just with more despair. Nothing was really solved. More was just heaped into the shitpile to be solved in the last book.

This was also just depressing as hell. It was so dire. It had so little hope. Like The Pillars of the World, I just had trouble really wanting to continue reading this. This time because there just was no hope. I couldn't see how this was going to end with a good ending, simply because there doesn't appear to be a good ending to be had. There were moments were it was funny. For instance, my favourite character of the entire book was a dog who doesn't listen. He surprised a really big laugh out of me, and I thought I was going to wake up my dad with it. However, it was also just kind of boring for most of the time.

Honestly, just not a lot happened. I can't point to many things that happened in this book. Adrian and Lyrra are wandering around, trying to find someone who will listen to what they say. Morag is struggling to come to terms what she has learned and looking for a place that will hear what she has to say and help. Liam is being introduced into the world he lives in, and his sister Breanna is starting to become a place where others will turn. And Ashk is seemingly the one with all the answers, but no one has made it to her for those answers yet. It was kind of boring.

The best part of Shadows of Light was probably the fact that the bad guys are basically not in this book. There are a few chapters from their perspective, but nothing like the last book. This is good because in general, I don't really like reading Bishop's villain's perspectives. But also because I really just didn't feel like reading torture scenes again.

Overall, Shadows and Light is just setup for the final book in the trilogy. I just struggled trying to continue reading this, and that was even after taking a break after reading the first book before jumping into this one. I want to love this, but I can't help but hate it a little bit, even as I enjoyed it. I feel like a walking contradiction when it comes to this book. It was well done, though, and that is sometimes all I really ask of something. ( )
  keikii | Jan 23, 2020 |
More of the same after Pillars of the World. Pass the popcorn! The bad guys' names were a bit cringe-worthy, but I'm not telling. (September 08, 2004) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Good read. There are similar elements to the Black Jewels series - strong women, stubborn men, intelligent (opinionated) horses. I have a feeling the third book will be the strongest of this trilogy. This was really a "bridge" book. It laid the foundation for the action and consequences in the last book. All of this is very similar to the Black Jewels story arc. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 3, 2014 |
I never bought book #3. I hate it when a book does not stand on it's own.
  Steenf65 | Sep 8, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

For Kandra
Sitting cross-legged in the middle of the bed's sagging, slumpy mattress, Lyrra brushed her dark red hair and studied the small room she was sharing with Aiden.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,337,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible