Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life…

Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life (1955)

by C. S. Lewis

Confessions by Augustine (2below)
    2below: For anyone interested in exploring spiritual autobiographies, Augustine's Confessions is a good example. Like Lewis, he begins by discussing his early life and how it shaped the development of his spiritual life as he got older. More verbose and theological than Lewis, especially after the conversion: Augustine devotes the remainder to an exegesis of Genesis.… (more)
    Boxen: The Imaginary World of the Young C. S. Lewis by C. S. Lewis (FFortuna)

In this book Lewis tells of his search for joy, a spiritual journey that led him from the Christianity of his early youth into atheism and then back to Christianity. This book, together with his early diary All My Road Before Me, form the closest thing we have to an autobiography.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Apr 30, 2019 |
This book is part of my C.S. Lewis collection. I went through a huge phase where I was just obsessed with anything and everything by him. While I don't agree with all of his theology, I do love his writing style and the things he has to say about faith. He was a good one. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jul 31, 2018 |
I primi anni della vita dell'autore e la sua scoperta della fede. ( )
  jcumani | May 10, 2018 |
autobiography
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Brilliant, intellectual, stimulating testimony of God's transformative revelation in C.S. Lewis' life. A must-read for appreciating his other works more, as well as those of the Inklings. I want to read it again to absorb all of his brilliant, cleverly expressed insights in so many aspects of life.
  LittleSiesta | Oct 31, 2016 |
Surprised by joy - impatient as the wind
—Wordsworth
To Dom Bede Griffiths, O.S.B.
I was born in the winter of 1898 at Belfast, the son of a solicitor and of a clergyman's daughter.
"I am struck here by the curious mixture of justice and injustice in our lives. We are blamed for our real faults but usually not on the right occasions."
"The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation."
Our destination was the little town of -- let us call it Belsen [Watford] ê in Hertfordshire. "Green Hertfordshire", Lamb calls it; but it was not green to a boy bred in County Down. It was flat Hertfordshire, flinty Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire of the yellow soil. There I first knew bitter frost and stinging fog, sweltering heat and thunderstorms on the great scale. ... We bought sweets in drowsy village shops and pottered about on the canal bank or sat at the brow of a railway cutting watching a tunnel-mouth for trains. Hertfordshire came to look less hostile.
I was wrong in supposing that I desired Joy itself. All the value lay in that of which Joy was the desiring. Inexorably Joy proclaimed, "You want something other, outside".

Contents

I. The first years.

II. Concentration Camp.

III. Mountbracken and Campbell.

IV. I broaden my mind.

V. Renaissance.

VI. Bloodery.

VII. Light and Shade

VIII. Release.

IX. The great knock.

X. Fortune's smile.

XI. Check.

XII. Guns and good company.

XIII. The new look.

XIV. Checkmate.

XV. The beginning.

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading. There are traps everywhere . . . God is, if I may say it, very unscrupulous."

This book is not an autobiography. It is not a confession. It is, however, certainly one of the most beautiful and insightful accounts of a person coming to faith. In this case, that person is C.S. Lewis and his path takes us from a childhood in Belfast through the loss of his mother, to boarding school and a youthful atheism in England, to the trenches of World War I, and then to life at Oxford, where he studied, read, and, ultimately, reasoned his way back to God. It is perhaps this aspect of Surprised by Joy that we—believers and nonbelievers—find most compelling and meaningful; Lewis was searching for joy, for an elusive and momentary sensation of glorious yearning, but he found it, and spiritual life, through the use of reason.

In this highly personal, thoughtful, intelligent memoir, Lewis guides us toward joy and toward the surprise that awaits anyone who seeks a life beyond the expected.

"Fascinating."—The Nation

"Lewis tempered his logic with a love for beauty, wonder, and magic . . . He speaks to us with all the power and life-changing force of a Plato, a Dante, and a Bunyan."—Christianity Today

"The tension of these final chapters holds the interest like the close of a thriller . . . God moves, indeed, in a mysterious way, and this book gives a brilliant account of one of the oddest and most decisive end-games He has ever played."—Times Literary Supplement

C. S. (Clive Staples) Lewis (1898–1963), one of the great writers of the twentieth century, also continues to be one of our most influential Christian thinkers. He wrote more than thirty books, both popular and scholarly, including The Chronicles of Narnia series, The Screwtape Letters, The Four Loves, Mere Christianity, and Till We Have Faces.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:58 -0400)

Autobiography of the English theologian, novelist, and scholar, concerning his early years.

Ediciones Encuentro

3 editions of this book were published by Ediciones Encuentro.

Editions: 8474906628, 8474909007, 8474902371

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,734,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible