The RIVERKEEPERS: Two Activists Fight to Reclaim Our Environment as a… (1997)

by John Cronin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Other authors: Al Gore (Introduction)

"A modern-day David and Goliath tale, The Riverkeepers is an impassioned firsthand account by two advocates who have taken on powerful corporate and government polluters to win back the river they love. John Cronin and Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., report from the frontline of environmental activism, the Hudson River Valley, to tell us how we too can fight and win by reclaiming a fundamental right that dates back to the Magna Carta - the right to defend and enjoy our invaluable natural resources." "Revealing shocking stories of commonplace environmental crime - from drinking water tainted with hospital waste to fish populations contaminated by freely dumped PCBs - John and Bobby describe their dramatic confrontations with more than ninety environmental lawbreakers. They vividly recount the hands-on investigations, the groundbreaking court battles, and the courageous local heroes that characterize their mission to bring to justice some of the world's most powerful institutions." "Interweaving the personal, philosophical, and political, The Riverkeepers is a timely call to action that will resonate across America as the backlash spearheaded by congressional leaders and their major corporate allies threatens to reverse the hard-won victories in environmental law and policy. It is an eloquent and essential reminder that environmentalism is really about defending democracy and our most basic rights as citizens."--BOOK JACKET.Title Summary field provided by Blackwell North America, Inc. All Rights Reserved… (more)

A history of how a run in with the law over drugs led RFK Jr. into the field of environmental law, and then into the Riverkeepers. The book details the formation of the Riverkeepers, and what they did, how they decided to protect their particular patch of the Hudson River from chemical pollutants by forming a neighborhood watch of sorts for the river. ( )
  Devil_llama | Apr 13, 2011 |
Excellent examination on deplorable condition of our waterways, specifically the Hudson River and how the government both State and National are causing most of the pollution. ( )
  rlk41 | Jul 18, 2006 |

John Croninprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kennedy Jr., Robert F.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Gore, AlIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,809,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible