The Antelope Wife (1998)

by Louise Erdrich

In an attack on an Indian village, a U.S. cavalryman takes a baby girl, but later gives her back. So begins a multi-generation saga on the girl's descendants as they navigate between modern life and ancient tradition. By the author of The Bingo Palace.

Lyrical magical realism. This was my first Erdrich, but I plan to look up others. It was also the first book-on-tape that I managed to listen to all the way through. ( )
  Charon07 | Jul 16, 2021 |
Just a stunning novel. I loved the fiercely independent women that populate this novel and the sometimes destructive, sometimes tender (but let's face it, usually pretty destructive) men who love them. There is so much tragedy countered with a surprising amount of humor, and I could not have imagined a better ending. As always, Louise Erdrich has my heart and soul. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
“Family stories repeat themselves in patterns and waves generation to generation, across bloods and times.”

Beautifully written! For example, “The tiny particulate unyellowed leaves of the locust trees flickered and swam in the moving air.” And, “Longing is the bliss of thieves that getting kills.” Wowza!
The end of part one is heartbreakingly sad. Well, the whole book is a bit sad. But that's family, right? It's such a real story, full of the ups and downs of life, marriage, and parenting. And it's so interconnected and confusing. "Everything is all knotted up in a tangle. Pull one string of this family and the whole web will tremble." So true...

The beads, the needles, and the family. A pleasure to read! And the last paragraph of the book, just perfect! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Apr 25, 2021 |
This one was just so-so for me. I had real trouble getting into it and found some of the more mystical bits (especially early in the book) hard to enjoy. It felt like a series of fragments that might've worked better as parts of a longer and better book. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
An odd melange of stories that link up a disrupted family tree. I think there are two novels in here, and I was dissatisfied with the development of each. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
This book was written before the death of my husband. He is remembered with love by all of his family.
To my children, Persia, Aza, Pallas, Birdie, and Sava
Ever since the beginning these twins are sewing. One sews with light and one with dark.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,322,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible