Læderhalsene by Leon M. Uris

Læderhalsene (original 1953; edition 1986)

by Leon M. Uris

Follows the fortunes of a U.S. Marine outfit from boot camp to Guadalcanal, Tarawa, and elsewhere in the Pacific during World War II.
Member:jakla
Title:Læderhalsene
Authors:Leon M. Uris
Info:[Kbh.] : Grafisk, cop. 1986.

Battle Cry by Leon Uris (1953)

English (5)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (6)
Read in High School and was given to me by my dad. This book was my first introduction to the Marine Corps and is one of the first things that pointed me in the direction of wanting to join the Marine Corps.
  SDWets | Jan 30, 2021 |
St. Bart's 2016 #1 - Excellent read......took me forever to read it, but that was my fault, not the book's. A haunting realness to this.....1st book I have read that felt like a small window had been opened to me about serving in the military.....the thrill, the horror, the pain, the camaraderie, the commitment, the fear, the losses, the loves, ..the sense of family, and the strength and compassion of the leaders....and more......I mean I've read war novels aplenty, but this felt different. More appreciative than ever for those who willingly offer themselves for service.....thank you, thank you, thank you......I don't think I could do it......but then again after reading this.....I'm not sure anyone truly feels they could.....but they do.....proudly. The genuine humanity of these guys sent to do very unpleasant things is inspiring. Written by one who was really there gives it a great feel of authenticity...thank you, Mr. Uris. ( )
  jeffome | Jan 12, 2016 |
I read this book in the ninth grade, it was the first book I picked up of Leon Uris...I fell in love with each and every character in the story. The man has a gift for taking all these lives and building a intertwining, lyrical story that leaves a person aching at the end. At least for me. I cried, and in telling the tale to my sisters, she cried. Powerful stuff people. ( )
  Kace | Jan 30, 2010 |
3288. Battle Cry, by Leon M. Uris (read Jan 23, 2000) I heard this recently described as one of the 3 great war books to come out of World War II, so I thought I'd read it. The Naked and the Dead, From Here to Eternity, and The Caine Mutiny are all better books than is this book, however. But the book catches one up, and the accounts of fighting on Guadacanal, Tarawa, and Saipan really are riveting--especially Saipan, with which the book ends. The only other things I have read by Uris are Trinity and Exodus, and this book is far better than those two works. I think this is Uris' first book, and I suspect it is his best, tho that doesn't say too much, IMHO. ( )
  Schmerguls | Dec 1, 2007 |
Still one of the best written books of war out there. It's aged well, though the movie hasn't. Uris' characters are a believable composite of Americans. The situations and stories are really vingettes and while not as overly harsh as combat situations are, they do convey the right amount of fear, conditions, and the different human reactions that different individuals would likely have.

Given its age, the omission of true Marine vocabulary (4 letter words as a base for all others) isn't surprising, but you have to wonder what it would read like if written by today's accepted standards.

Still and excellent and patriotic read of how humans behave under the stress of war. ( )
  kaplanr | Aug 2, 2007 |

Leon Urisprimary authorall editionscalculated
de Wit-Boonacker, H.C.ETranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the United States Marines, and to one in particular - Staff Sergeant Betty Beck Uris.
They call me Mac.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,234,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible