dismiss

Warrior Rising (2008)

by P. C. Cast

Series: Goddess Summoning (6)

The Goddesses have had it with the Trojan War. So much devastation all because of some silly male egos. The worst of the bunch is that cocky, handsome brute Achilles. But the only way to stop a man like Achilles is to distract him with something far more pleasurable than combat... Enter Kat, a modern girl from Tulsa, Oklahoma. The Goddesses transform her into a Trojan princess, having no doubt that she'll capture Achilles's attention. But can her independent spirit match the unquenchable fire of his epic rage?--From publisher description.… (more)

Warrior Rising is the first book I have ever picked up by this author, but when I saw it available at my local library, I decided it was time to finally pick this author up. I have had this author on my watchlist for quite some time. I am such a fan of mythology themed romances, and even though this book was a bit unconventional at times, it definitely sucked me instantly into the story.

The story begins with three goddesses of Olympus-Athena, Hera and Venus have hatched a plan to save one of their own from his own destruction : Achilles. They see women from the future, modern women, who would have the ability to handle their delicate situation. Achilles made a pact when he was young, to either live a content life of love and old age. Or to have glory and power but will die at a young age in war. Achilles agreed not realizing that with his agreement he would be cursed by Zeus, a curse that keeps him dangerous. When he is in battle raged or lusting after a woman, a inner beast comes alive and destroys everything in sight. He hasn't know a woman's touch in many years, all women he knows fears him way too much. When Kat and Jacqueline are killed in a car accident, they are offered a deal. That if they help Achilles, they will be offered any boon of their choice with a new body.

First off this story was quite a blast of fun and adventure, and the humor in this book was beyond comical. I loved the way that this story was written. Now I do need to warn readers that this doesn't follow strictly the myths and legends of Greek Mythology. I loved the way that this story was written. Now I do need to warn readers that this doesn't follow strictly the myths and legends of greek mythology,
“Seminaked men!” Jacky trilled.
“With swords,” Kat purred. “It is a romance novel!”
I loved the way that this story was written. Now I do need to warn readers that this doesn't follow strictly the myths and legends of Greek Mythology. I loved the way that this story was written. Now I do need to warn readers that this doesn't follow strictly the myths and legends of greek mythology, its very unconventional and the author takes her own spin on facts here, and as long as you don't take it too seriously than you will definitely learn to admire this story. We have two stories, although Achilles and Kat are our main couple. But we do have a side story involving Kat's friend and Achilles friend. What I liked was seeing how our wonderful hero has been emotional tortured through the years. He has some stains on his soul, thanks to his "curse" and blames himself, even though its not his fault at all. He hasn't known a human touch in a very long time. Then comes along Kat, who offers him human touch and healing. She doesn't fear him like every other woman does. She accepts him and loves him unconditionally. She is the type of heroine that you will just adore. She is strong, independent, intelligent but caring and compassionate as well.
I'm a different kind of woman than what you know here, and I have the power of generations of independent thinkers and educated mothers and sisters, daughters and girlfriends, all within me. I believe in myself, and what the power of one woman can bring about. That gives me a different kind of strength, a strength that Venus and Hera and Athena knew would be needed here. I can change what's happening. All I have to do is trust myself and believe that Achilles will trust me too.
The romance that builds between these two is so sweet and poignant. Their relationship builds little by little, and yes their chemistry is powerful here, but what impressed me was seeing the way that this author implemented the emotional intimacy that matches up perfectly with their physical connection.

The three goddesses were pretty entertaining as well and seeing the way they like to bring couples together, and I can hardly wait until I can see what else this entertaining author writes in other stories. RIDICULOUSLY FUN AND SEXY! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 24, 2019 |
The dialogue between the two best friends is the highlight of this book. HIL.AR.IOUS! It is pure perfection!

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | May 23, 2018 |
I'm happy to say it seems like this series is getting back on track for me. I really enjoyed the fact that we stayed primarily with Katerina's point of view throughout the story instead of switching back and forth from character to character. But then one person narrative is a personal preference of mine.
Anyway, even though I'm not a big fan of the Trojan war myths, I found myself enjoying the characters and world Cast built here. She had quite a few interesting spins on some of the old myths surrounding the war that I really enjoyed. I thought that Kat and especially Achilles should've been a bit more developed as they felt a bit flat to me. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
I was drawn to this book because I love a good time travel romance. It started out really interesting but I had a difficult time finishing the book with so many other books waiting to be read. I put this one aside frequently but I finished it after a year. It is a light read and great for a beach read. ( )
  schoolnurse | Jul 16, 2012 |
Interesting premise but half way through I lost interest and skimmed the rest to see if there were any surprises. There weren't. ( )
  glitrbug | Jul 29, 2009 |

Belongs to Series

Prologue: Thetis of the silver feet rose from the depths of the hidden cove.

An awesome book! Including gods and goddesses. And a new spin on the Trojan War.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,873,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible