The Bluest Eye (Vintage International) by…

The Bluest Eye (Vintage International) (original 1970; edition 2007)

by Toni Morrison (Author)

The Bluest Eye is the story of eleven-year-old Pecola Breedlove, a black girl in an America whose love for its blonde, blue-eyed children can devastate all others, who prays for her eyes to turn blue: so that she will be beautiful, so that people will look at her, so that her world will be different. This is the story of the nightmare at the heart of her yearning, and the tragedy of its fulfillment.… (more)
Member:LCislamabad
Title:The Bluest Eye (Vintage International)
Authors:Toni Morrison (Author)
Info:Vintage (2007), Edition: Reprint, 224 pages

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison (1970)

English (179)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (186)
I can see why Bluest Eye launched Toni Morrison to fame and is regarded as a classic. I found it engaging, loved its wide cast of characters and multiple view points. It wrapped up surprisingly quickly. ( )
  jscape2000 | Feb 26, 2021 |
I love this book, which may sound like a strange thing to say given the terrible things that Pecola endures. In my opinion, it is a very moving account of discrimination and marginalization, economic enslavement subsequent to literal slavery, and the ways in which humanity abuses one another, but written in such beautiful prose that you can't stop reading it, even if you wanted to.
  JCanausa | Feb 1, 2021 |
God. This is a novel too monstrous and perverse it has left me cold and nauseated but with exceedingly brilliant intentions. It scrapes the skin until it finds the time to burrow underneath it. It squirms then stings like a fresh, bleeding wound washed by running water from a faucet. My mind still reels not only from how painful and horrific it all is but also with the thought-provokingly cascaded perspectives from multiple point of views.

“There is nothing more to say—except why. But since why is difficult to handle, one must take refuge in how.”

What struck me most is the internalised racism in The Bluest Eye which most of the characters manoeuvre in. It is recognisably and frighteningly merciless. In a society that deeply favours Eurocentric features it does an endless amount of harm, especially on women, through the self-hatred it cultivates on the nonconformists. With the word “ugly” dropped objectively, rigidly, and bitterly multiple times, it further widens the already existing rift within minority groups, particularly between black American girls / women here; where in differing shades of black, perhaps even considered better facial symmetry, the lighter ones expectedly get nicer treatment and privilege whilst the darker ones receive damaging taunts and teases. Morrison is compelling and vivid; poetic and poignant. There is never a word wasted. The self-hatred intensifies resulting in an immense need to take any kind of love in whatever—frequently malleable and deceitful—shape or form it presents itself as; and the difficulty to leave these abusive relationships is rooted from unaddressed insecurities and traumas. The body is constantly used, objectified, and bruised. Poverty gives additional weight to the inability to accept the possibility of freedom. But it is hard to recognise love as true and tender when prior loves experienced amount to nothing.

As The Bluest Eye traverses the complications of established notions on physical beauty, it microscopes on dysfunctional family units of a race continuously oppressed where, brutally, oppression also thrives. A number of people may feel the violence in The Bluest Eye is unnecessary and excessive but this opens an important discourse not only on rape culture but also domestic violence and child abuse. These mostly remain unreported due to families and friends doubting the victim, that or turning a blind eye over issues they don’t want to confront once learned. Until the end, the novel is fraught with despair. Hope is nowhere in sight. There is a maddening guilt and self-blame that looms all over the pages. And the ugliest is the pleasure and self-confidence people derive in comparing themselves to the unfortunate ones. Childhood innocence here slips and fleets. It is eventually crushed by the hands of corruption. The Bluest Eye is covered in grit and dirt; in blood and violation. It turns your head and makes you see what's often disregarded: the physical scars go but the emotional ones don’t.
  lethalmauve | Jan 25, 2021 |
I didn't love the structure and surely thought parts of the book were weak, but a lot of the prose was really beautiful, and it was sobering to inhabit briefly a viewpoint of the world so very different from the privileged viewpoint I've been afforded. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
This was a solid four-star read for me right up until the introduction of Soaphead Church near the end that's written in homophobic language. Also, by the end Morrison is fairly beating us over the head with obvious imagery and symbolism. I can't help but think the work would be stronger if it had been molded with a lighter, defter touch. ( )
  bugaboo_4 | Jan 3, 2021 |
I have said "poetry." But "The Bluest Eye" is also history, sociology, folklore, nightmare and music. It is one thing to state that we have institutionalized waste, that children suffocate under mountains of merchandised lies. It is another thing to demonstrate that waste, to re-create those children, to live and die by it. Miss Morrison's angry sadness overwhelms.

Morrison, Toniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schmidt-Dengler, WendelinAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schneider, HelmutContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thigpen, LynneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vink, Nettiesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the two who gave me life
and the one who made me free
Quiet as it's kept, there were no marigolds in the fall of 1941.
And it is the blackness that accounts for, that creates,the vacuum edged with distaste in white eyes.
But we listened for the one who would say, “Poor little girl,” or, “Poor baby,” but there was only head-wagging where those words should have been. We looked for eyes creased with concern, but saw only veils.
Please distinguish between this complete 1970 novel and any abridgement of the original Work. Thank you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,765,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible