Careless in Red: A Novel by Elizabeth George

Careless in Red: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Elizabeth George

Scotland Yard's Thomas Lynley discovers the body of a young man who appears to have fallen to his death. The closest town, better known for its tourists and its surfing than its intrigue, seems an unlikely place for murder. However, it soon becomes apparent that a clever killer is indeed at work, and this time Lynley is not a detective but a witness and possibly a suspect.… (more)
Member:CarolinaBasBleu
Title:Careless in Red: A Novel
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:Harper (2008), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 640 pages
Tags:psychological thrillers, Barbara Havers, Thomas Lynley

Careless in Red by Elizabeth George (2008)

English (71)  Dutch (4)  French (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  All languages (81)
Very enjoyable--Well-written with interesting people in realistic relationships. I am surprised that this is one of the least liked of her Lynley books. I think I will listen to more of these. ( )
  qwertify | Sep 10, 2021 |
Careless in Red. Elizabeth George. 2008. As always, the Inspector Thomas Lynley novels are a treat for me. The book right before this one, What Came before He Shot Her, does not concern Lynley. I read it as a stand-alone several years before I discovered the Lynley novels and did not go back as re-read it. So I read With No One as Witness and then Careless in Red. Any reader who is enthralled with Lynley might want to do the same. Lynley took Helen “home” to Cornwall and walked the coast for miles as he mourned for her and their lost marriage and son. After days of walking alone, he discovers a body, and becomes involved, first as a suspect and then as an investigator. Barbara Havers is sent down from London to keep an eye on him and to help him. Surfing and climbing and Cornwall are featured. I was more interested in Lynley and his grief than I was in the affairs of the murdered boy and the suspects so I found the book tedious at times, but a Lynley book is a Lynley book! By the way, I have watched the PBS Mystery Inspectory Lynley Series, and did not care for them because the actors chosen to play Lynley and Havers were so unlike what I had pictured them to be I just couldn’t “willingly suspend my disbelief.” The later shows in the series did not follow the plots of any of the books I’ve read ( )
  judithrs | Dec 1, 2020 |
I think this is the first Elizabeth George novel that I didn't finish. Perhaps it was because the previous one was so good and this just didn't measure up. But the characters were not grabbing me and the plot seemed to plod along too slowly. ( )
  gbelik | Jul 25, 2020 |
Yikes. This was bad. I don't even know what else to say. I mean...you have Lynley wanting a sexual relationship or something with a woman who he meets not more than 2 months after his wife was murdered. Also, what was George even thinking with fridging Helen? The murder story-line was interesting, but the resolution was a freaking let-down. I don't even know what else to say here. This book felt like a waste of time.

"Careless in Red" finds Thomas Lynley walking in Cornwall. He has been on his own for 6 weeks at the start of this story trying to outrun memories of his dead wife. When he comes to a cliff he sees a body and finds himself thrust in the middle of a murder investigation. The local investigator calls on Lynley to investigate a woman who is hiding something. Lynley eventually calls up Havers who is sent to Cornwall to help, but to also bring Lynley back to New Scotland Yard.

I got nothing on Lynley. He's like a shadow of his former self and his whatever it was with the vet made zero sense and actually made me despise him.

Havers was great and the only reason why I gave this 1 star.

The local investigator had a whole backstory that I did not care about at all. So did the vet and it made zero sense when we get to her reveal. It was so dumb and I just threw up my hands.

I can't say much about the other people in this story, the lot of them had a lot of issues and there's not really anyone that I ended up liking. At one point I wondered how everyone in this story was so miserable and unhappy. Some of the characters, read as caricatures.

The writing was dry and the flow was awful.

The ending was a letdown. Readers and the police know who did it, but I really wish the book had ended differently. Lynley holds a massive resolution to a murder case that occurred 25 years earlier and it made no sense that he didn't tell anyone about it, or at least to tell what he knew to the person behind this murder. The whole book felt like a rough draft. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Es ist Ende April. Durch das wechselhafte Frühlingswetter wandert ein Mann die Küste Cornwalls entlang. Seit Wochen hat er nicht mehr in einem Bett geschlafen, sich gewaschen, sich rasiert. Als er über der Klippe bei Polcare Cove innehält, bleibt sein Blick an etwas Rotem hängen. In der Tiefe liegt ein zerschmetterter Körper. Was zunächst wie ein Unfall aussieht, entpuppt sich als Sabotageakt und Mord, und die örtliche Ermittlerin steht bald schon einem ganzen Dutzend Verdächtigen gegenüber. Darunter auch Thomas Lynley, der nach dem tragischen Tod seiner Frau und seines ungeborenen Kindes sein Seelenheil in der Flucht suchte...
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |

Elizabeth Georgeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blankestijn, MargaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, Gert-JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

If thou art indeed my father,
then thou hast stained the sword
in the lifeblood of thy son.
And thou didst it of thine own obstinacy.
For I sought to turn thee into love...

From the Shahnama
To the memory of Stephen Lawrence and 22 April 1993, when he was murdered in Eltham, southeast London, by five men who have gone unpunished by the British judicial system to this day.
He found the body on the forty-third day of his walk.
Als gíj inderdaad mijn vader bent.
Dan hebt gij uw zwaard bezoedeld
met het levensbloed van uw zoon.
En dat deed gij vanwege uw eigen halsstarrigheid
Want ik wilde u tot liefde brengen...
- uit de Shahnamah

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,329,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible