Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Anansi Boys (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Neil Gaiman

Series: American Gods (2)

18,319430190 (3.93)414
His past marked by his father's embarrassing taunts and untimely death, Fat Charlie meets the brother he never knew and is introduced to new and exciting ways to spend his time.
Member:Lkraustx
Title:Anansi Boys
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:HarperTorch (2006), Edition: Later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (2005)

Recently added byprivate library, aanandc, rsps, zster, JaynesHat, bookworm148, MorbidLibrarian, Colleen85, Brubow

English (418)  German (3)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (428)
I listened to the audio book with Lenny Henry as the reader. He is a great voice actor- so entertaining to listen to. ( )
  -Pia- | Sep 3, 2021 |
4.5 Sterne
Ich bin eigentlich nicht der typische Neil Gaiman Leser. Aber immer wenn ich mich dann doch für ein Buch von ihm entscheide, bin ich mehr oder weniger begeistert. Ich zögere nur immer ein wenig, eben weil Fantsy - eigentlich - nicht so mein bevorzugtes Genre ist. Dieses Buch wurde mir von einer Freundin wärmstens ans Herz gelegt - und zwar nicht nur wegen der skurillen, witzigen Story, sondern wegen Stefan Kaminski's BRILLIANTER Vorlese-Performance. Und ja, ich kann ihr in allem nur zustimmen: sehr witzige Story mit teils sehr skurrilen aber IMMER liebenswertn Charakteren die ich alle ins Herz geschlossen habe. Und Stefan Kaminski hätte sich einen Hörbuch-Sprecher-Oscar verdient... wenn es einen solchen gäbe. ( )
  Heidi64 | Jul 18, 2021 |
Neal Gaiman is now added to my list of favorite authors. This was a funny, compassionate, imaginative story, in tone akin to Christopher Moore or Douglas Adams, drawing from African Anansi myths but set in the modern world. The reader, Lenny Henry, also does a great job of reading (and singing!) and a fabulous job with the wide array of accents, from London to African American to West Indian. ( )
  Charon07 | Jul 16, 2021 |
adult fiction - comedy/ancient gods living as humans; ghosts.

Gaiman's storytelling is always top-notch; while the author admits that American Gods is "not for everyone" (i.e., better suited for airing on Starz rather than network TV), Anansi Boys is more suited for the general audience. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
This book has been sitting on my bookshelves, untouched, for so long -- despite the fact that my sister got it signed for me by Neil Gaiman, himself. It was high time to pick this up, especially as I'd "recently" reread American Gods, so it was the first book for my readathon pile.

At first I was a bit nonplussed because this book seemed much less connected to American Gods than I had expected it to be. Then because it seemed like most of the characters were supposed to be black, but then it just didn't necessarily read that way, and you almost had to read between the lines to confirm that they were? I've seen references in other reviews that suggest that this was an intentional choice to make the characters seem universal. Which is, a choice, I guess? it felt weird.

Anyway, this is a Gaiman story through and through, and I suspect most fans of Gaiman would get into this work -- especially its themes on how stories make our reality.

Still, even as I liked it, I kept wishing for a more African take on Anansi, so it is super appropriate that Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky is the book I am currently reading to the kids for bedtime story. Can't wait to get into the Anansi stuff there. ( )
  greeniezona | May 1, 2021 |
Gaiman kutoo tapansa mukaan sujuvan ja houkuttelevan kertomuksen, joka ammentaa tarinoiden ja myyttien maailmasta. Sujuvan lukukokemuksen viimeistelee onnistunut suomennos.

Gaimaniin mieltyneille Hämähäkkijumala on puolipakollinen kirjahyllyn täyte ja kevytfantasiaa hakeville ihan yhtä hyvä tutustumiskirja kuin mikä tahansa varhaisempi romaani. Vaikka kirjan juoni ei juuri yllätäkään, Gaiman esittelee tarinankertojan lahjaansa: kykyä tehdä mahdottomasta todenmakuista.
added by msaari | editKeskisuomalainen, Riku Ylönen (Jan 30, 2009)

And Charlie, who has become a successful singer and fathered a son, has come to terms with the powers and responsibilities of ''a boy who was half a god," having learned what Gaiman knows better, and communicates more forcefully, than any other contemporary writer: Stories and poems, songs and myths, represent us, sustain and complete us, and survive us, while also ensuring that all that's best in us survives with them.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Bruce Allen (Nov 20, 2005)

The focus on Anansi and tricksters, I think, goes a long way towards explaining the tone of this novel. It really feels more like some of the established "funny" sci-fi/fantasy authors (like Gaiman's Good Omens co-author Terry Pratchett) than "classic" Neil.
added by stephmo | editPopMatters, Stephen Rauch (Nov 7, 2005)

The problem in "Anansi Boys" is the type of fantasy Gaiman has chosen. The tales of Anansi outwitting his foes leave you feeling you've eaten something heavy and sugary. There's an Uncle Remus folksiness to the stories that sends the airy blitheness of the farce plummeting down to earth.

There is also, I regret to say, the warm hand of instruction lying uneasily on this tale. Charlie works through his ineffectualness and his family issues to find happiness, contentment and - ugh - acceptance. It leaves you with the uncomfortable feeling that for Gaiman, farce by itself would simply have been too frivolous, that he feels the need to impart a lesson.

Anansi Boys contains a couple of traditional-style Anansi fables, and the book itself takes a similar ambling but wry, pointed tone; like any good Anansi story, it's about cleverness, appetite, and comeuppance, and it's funny in a smart, inclusive way. And like any good Gaiman book, it's about the places where the normal world and a fantastic one intersect, and all the insightful things they have to say about each other.

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Henry, LennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hopkinson, NaloIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mcginnis, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trueblood, HoustonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallejo, FrancisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You know how it is, you pick up a book, flip to the dedication, and find that, once again, the author has dedicated a book to someone else and not to you.

Not this time.

Because we haven't yet met/have only a glancing acquaintance/are just crazy about each other/haven't seen each other in much too long/are in some way related/will never meet, but will, I trust, despite that, always think fondly of each other ....

This one's for you.

With you know what, and you probably know why.
NOTE: The author would like to take this opportunity to tip his hat respectfully to the ghosts of Zora Neale Hurston, Thorne Smith, P.G. Wodehouse, and Frederick "Tex" Avery.
It begins, as most things begin, with a song.
Fat Charlie wondered what Rosie's mother would usually hear in a church. Probably just cries of "Back! Foul beast of Hell!" followed by gasps of "Is it alive?" and a nervous inquiry as to whether someone had remembered to bring the stakes and hammers. (Chapter 5)
"Your job is safe and sound. Safe as houses. As long as you remain the model of circumspection and discretion you have been so far."
"How safe are houses," asked Fat Charlie.
"Extremely safe."
"It's just that I read somewhere that most accidents occur in the home." (Chapter 5)
"The ties of blood," said Spider, "Are stronger than water."
"Water's not strong," objected Fat Charlie.
"Stronger than vodka, then. Or volcanoes". (Chapter 6)
The beast made the noise of a cat being shampooed, a lonely wail of horror and outrage, of shame and defeat. (Chapter 13)
"I figured even if there was a nuclear war, it would still leave radioactive cockroaches and your mum." (Chapter 14, Charlie speaking to Rosie)

Set in the same world as American Gods, but not a sequel to it.

In Anansi Boys we discover that 'Mr. Nancy' (Anansi) has two sons, and the two sons in turn discover each other. The novel follows their adventures as they explore their common heritage.
Moral of the book

can't be: In order to find

yourself, wear a hat.

(legallypuzzled)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,337,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible