False memory by Dean R. Koontz

False memory (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Dean R. Koontz

Fiction. Literature. Suspense. Thriller. HTML:BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Dean Koontz's The City.
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

No fan of Dean Koontz or of psychological suspense will want to miss this extraordinary novel of the human mindâ??s capacity to tormentâ??and destroyâ??itself.

Itâ??s a fear more paralyzing than falling. More terrifying than absolute darkness. More horrifying than anything you can imagine. Itâ??s the one fear you cannot escape no matter where you run . . . no matter where you hide.

Itâ??s the fear of yourself. Itâ??s real. It can happen to you. And facing it can be deadly.

False Memory . .
… (more)
Member:SudolTerri
Title:False memory
Authors:Dean R. Koontz
Info:New York Bantam Books 2000, c1999.

Work Information

False Memory by Dean Koontz (1999)

English (41)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (43)
Very good, probably the best I've read of his. A wacko psychiatrist is able to brainwash many of his patients to carry out his own twisted games.
  derailer | Jan 25, 2024 |
[b:False Memory|182425|False Memory|Dean Koontz|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1388447589l/182425._SY75_.jpg|1133939]
I slightly feel like I am cheating on Stephen King. Funny statement I know but when I want my horror or creepy that is my go-to author. False Memory was recommended to me by my PT of all people. She kept talking about this book and telling me about it and it sparked my curiosity enough to want to read it. It took her a week to find the title and took me about a week to read it. My sister says big books are simply for door stoppers I say they are an onion you have to peel back layer by layer. This story is different in the sense that I do not typically pick up books that deal with mind control because of my degree in psychology I think I will over think the story but this one I loved. Martine “Martie” Rhodes, a video-game designer, has developed a rare mental disorder: autophobia, fear of oneself. Meanwhile, her husband Dusty’s young half-brother, Skeet Caulfield, has decided to jump off the roof of a building the two men are repairing—because Skeet has seen the Angel of the next world. Then you meet more friends like Susan who is suffering from the same fear. I loved how everyone is seamlessly connected to the bigger picture and I love how the villain thinks he is smarter than he is. I don’t really want to give away too much of the story just know that your biggest fears are often used against you in the most interesting of ways. I know that many people in skimming other reviews have said that this is a slow start but it is for sure worth the time. I have read a few of Dean Koontz’s new books this makes me want to read more of his older works. Do not let the size of it scare you. ( )
  b00kdarling87 | Jan 7, 2024 |
This is my favorite Dean Koontz book to date! ( )
  TheNewGen | Nov 28, 2023 |
This was a re-read for me, and I’d forgotten how suspenseful this book is. Still, I must admit I enjoyed the first two-thirds more than the last. The overall arc is a thriller with a not-so-subtle subtext of dysfunctional and functional families. Enjoyable characters, though like many books, the bad guy became almost comically accentuated (though truly repellant enough to love to hate), as did the terrible mother and father(s) of the plot line. The basic idea is frightening when taken seriously (and I dread to think one day possible if it isn’t already), but the final third to quarter of the book often left me chuckling, though by that time I just went along for the ride when a surprising new patient turns up. It’s difficult to explain further without spoilers and I hate when reviewers do that, so I won’t. Some parts of the book feel overwritten, going on too long, though some of these made the characters’ despair resonate deeply, while those toward the end of the book made me want to skip through a few pages. This well plotted and exceptionally executed book has all the right emotions embedded, but would benefit from some tightening. One warning: it may be triggering for those who’ve suffered abuse. ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | Oct 17, 2023 |
I wish I could give this book 3.5 stars because it is worthy of more than 3 stars but not quite worthy of 4 stars. The book has a very interesting plot but it goes off on rants in numerous places. Mr. Koontz could have cut this book down by about 300 pages and it would have been a much better book. Mr. Koontz delves into the lives of the main characters in a way that makes you root for them. But the story seems to go off into areas that seemed the only purpose was to add more pages. Really trying to understand what was the purpose of travelling to New Mexico since there was absolutely nothing discovered or resolved by going there. Also the way in which the bad guy perishes leaves a lot to be desired, it was a very anti-climatic moment. I have difficulty recommending this book but I think there will be some that really like it. ( )
  gsteinbacher | Dec 30, 2021 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Defert, DominiqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gelder, Cherie vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lang, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
AUTOPHOBIA is a real personality disorder. The term is used to describe three different conditions: (1) fear of being alone; (2) fear of being egotistical; (3) fear of oneself. The third is the rarest of these conditions.
This phantasm
of falling petals vanishes into
moon and flowers . . .
-Okyo
Whiskers of the cat,
webbed toes on my swimming dog:
God is in details.
-The Book Of Counted Sorrows
In the real world
as in dreams,
nothing is quite
what is seems.
-The Book Of Counted Sorrows
Life is an unrelenting comedy.
Therein lies the tragedy of it.
-Martin Stillwater
This book is dedicated to
Tim Hely Hutchinson.
Your faith in my work,
a long time ago
-and now for many years-
gave me heart
editorial relationship
of my career,
which is a testament to
your exceptional patience,
kindness, and tolerance for fools!
On that Tuesday in January, when her life changed forever, Martine Rhodes woke with a headache, developed a sour stomach after washing down two aspirin with grapefruit juice, guaranteed herself an epic bad-hair day by mistakenly using Dustin's shampoo instead of her own, broke a fingernail, burnt her toast, discovered ants swarming through the cabinet under the kitchen sink, eradicated the pests by firing a spray can of insecticide as ferociously as Sigourney Weaver wielded a flamethrower in one of those old extraterrestrial-bug movies, cleaned up the resultant carnage with paper towels, hummed Bach's Requiem as she solemnly consigned the tiny bodies to the trash can, and took a telephone call from her mother, Sabrina, who still prayed for the collapse of Martie's marriage three years after the wedding.

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

False Memory . .

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,295,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible