The Sky Fisherman

by Craig Lesley

The lives of young Culver, his twice-married mother, and his charismatic uncle Jake have been always overshadowed by the death of Culver's father in a fishing accident. When a suspicious fire destroys the town mill and three murders occur, Culver is engulfed by the dangers he finds lurking in the place he'd come to call home. Love, death, coming of age, and Native American spiritual beliefs flow together with the forces of nature in this novel.… (more)

What happens in this small town reflects the individualistic outlook of the characters, as they try to make a living in a place that commerce has passed by and tourism is their best hope. Point of view of a teen boy whose family is struggling. Scenario of all coming together to fight a building fire.
Sorry this review isn't any better: forgot to write it when the book was fresh in my mind. But I did keep the book, which means I thought it worth something.
  juniperSun | Nov 5, 2020 |
Northwest Story ( )
  csmalibrary | Mar 26, 2009 |
At least until I graduate, I am holding off on giving stars to my professors' books.

Mr. Lesley has a habit of inscribing this book "I hope this honors the rural, small-town West." I think it does.

It's a story that starts small, in the details of a working-class life lived close to the bone, and opens up into the camaraderie, suspicions, and humor of a rich small-town life. The characters in the town and on the neighboring reservation are engaging and real. The plot draws you on from the narrator's concerns to town mysteries, and is ultimately driven by the cataclysms that can either shatter or cement a community.
  eilonwy_anne | Dec 23, 2007 |
For Kathryn Ann Stavrakis and our daughters, Elena and Kira
My stepfather, Riley Walker, worked for the Union Pacific Railroad, and it was a steady job, but uncertain, because trucking had hurt the railroad by then and they were cutting back.
Prologue: The neon trout blinks off and on, advertising my uncle Jake's guide service and store.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,237,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible