The Garden of Last Days: A Novel by Andre…

The Garden of Last Days: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Andre Dubus III (Author)

Explosive elements coverge one early September night in a Florida men's club revealing the seamy underside of American life at the moment before the world changed.
Member:EHubbard13
Title:The Garden of Last Days: A Novel
Authors:Andre Dubus III (Author)
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2009), Edition: Reprint, 544 pages

Work Information

The Garden of Last Days by III Andre Dubus

Fantastic book. Truly a page-turner. It sucked me in from chapter one and still hasn't let go. After I finished it, I found myself wondering where the characters are now - sure sign of an engrossing read. ( )
1 vote gonzocc | Mar 31, 2024 |
This offering from Dubus is not as compelling as [The House of Sand and Fog] though it is constructed on the same premise - inhabiting characters difficult to understand attempting to explain their motivations from deep within. Ultimately, the characters were just not worthy of the effort. It starts well enough, with a haphazard and equivocal abduction of a little girl from the strip club where her mother dances. Shifting among perspectives, we follow the girl, her mother, a Middle Eastern man for whom she dances, the abductor, and a bouncer from the club. Eventually, the Middle Eastern man is revealed to be one of the 9/11 hijackers. In the end, there was just too little redeemable about any one of the characters to maintain interest and buy-in.

I'll try another from Dubus, as he's a good writer, but I'm hoping to find the next more like [The House of Sand and Fog].

3 stars!!! ( )
  blackdogbooks | Sep 25, 2023 |
A really compelling look into the lives and minds of a handful of people in Florida, in the days leading up to 9/11. Excellent writing and insight, and not quite as tragic as House of Sand and Fog. ( )
  stephkaye | Dec 14, 2020 |

This is the type of book I like. The story is told through the various characters in the story. It takes place just before 9/11, which matters because one of the characters is a terrorist preparing for the attack. I found his viewpoint interesting but I must admit I got tired of him by the end of the story. The author states he researched 9/11 and the terrorists to write this book. Bassam, the character from Saudi Arabia, is a compilation of the real terrorists, according to the author's research. There were spots throughout the story that were plodding and somewhat tiresome to get through. Overall though, I found it to be entertaining. I would recommend it. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
Very interesting perspectives in this book. I felt connected to the characters. I would definitely read another book by this author & recommend the book to friends. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

dtv (13991)
For Larry Brown
April drove north on Washington Boulevard in the late-afternoon heat.

From CD Jacket: April's usual babysitter, Jean, has had a panic attack that has landed her in the hospital. April doesn't really know anyone else, so she decides it's best to have her three-year-old daughter close by, watching children's videos in the office while she works. April works at the Puma Club for Men. And tonight she has an unusual client, a foreigner both remote and too personal, and free with his money. Lots of it, all cash. His name is Bassam. Meanwhile, another man, AJ, has been thrown out of the club for holding hands with his favorite stripper, and he's drunk and angry and lonely.

From these explosive elements comes a relentless, raw, searing, passionate, page-turning narrative, a big-hearted and painful novel about sex and parenthood and honor and masculinity. Set in the seamy underside of American life at the moment before the world changed, it juxtaposes lust for domination with hunger for connection, sexual violence with family love. It seizes the listener by the throat with the same psychological tension, depth, and realism that characterized Andre Dubus's bestselling House of Sand and Fog--and an even greater sense of the dark and anguished places in the human heart.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,949,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible