Canadians at table : food, fellowship, and…

Canadians at table : food, fellowship, and folklore : a culinary history… (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Dorothy Duncan

251665,453 (4)None
Winner of the 2007 Canadian Culinary Book Award for Canadian Food Culture In Canadians at Table we learn about lessons of survival from the First Nations, the foods that fuelled fur traders, and the adaptability of early settlers to their new environment. As communities developed and transportation improved, waves of newcomers arrived, bringing memories of foods, beverages, and traditions they had known, which were almost impossible to implement in their new homeland. They discovered instead how to use native plants for many of their needs. Community events and institutions developed to serve religious, social, and economic needs from agricultural and temperance societies to Womens Institutes, from markets and fairs to community meals and celebrations.… (more)
Member:khed2
Title:Canadians at table : food, fellowship, and folklore : a culinary history of Canada
Authors:Dorothy Duncan
Info:Toronto : Dundurn Press, c2006.

Canadians at Table: Food, Fellowship, and Folklore: A Culinary History of Canada by Dorothy Duncan (2006)

I don't know how I missed the part about this being a "history of Canada"---had I known the fun historical facts that were to be found in this, I would have picked it up a long time ago! Filled with rich history, nostalgic anecdotes, and lots of stuff that only Canadians would get, this book is great for anyone who has a love for Canada and it's history.

I really enjoyed reading about the Vikings in Canada---they're one of my favorite people groups to study. I did find that, the closer I got to modern times, the more I began to lose interest in the book. I actually skimmed the last 30 pages or so as it just wasn't holding my attention anymore.

I'm definitely interested in finding more about the Yukon's "Sourdough Festival"---sounds very unique! I'm also interested in learning more about the Women's Institutes. ( )
  lostinavalonOR | Feb 25, 2014 |

Dorothy Duncanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carroll, MichaelEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scott, JenniferDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Colin, Adam, and Glenn, masters of good food, good fellowship, and fascinating folklore
Were they hungry?

Dundurn

2 editions of this book were published by Dundurn.

Editions: 155002647X, 1459700384

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,525,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible