American Son: A Portrait of John F. Kennedy,…

American Son: A Portrait of John F. Kennedy, Jr. (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Richard Blow (Author)

The last, defining years of the life of John F Kennedy Jr, as seen by an editor who worked for him at George magazine. At thirty-four, better known for his social life than his work as an assistant district attorney, John F Kennedy Jr was still a man in search of his destiny. All that changed in 1995 when Kennedy launched a bold new magazine about American politics, puckishly called George. Over the next four years, Kennedy's passionate commitment to the magazine - and to the ideals it stood for - transformed him. One witness to this transformation was Richard Blow, an editor and writer who joined George several months before the release of the first issue.… (more)
Member:Thebeautifulsea
Title:American Son: A Portrait of John F. Kennedy, Jr.
Authors:Richard Blow (Author)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2002), Edition: 1st, 288 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

American Son: A Portrait of John F. Kennedy, Jr. by Richard Blow (2002)

“How symbolic the smallest things can be, the flotsam and jetsam of lives”
― Richard Blow, American Son: A Portrait of John F. Kennedy, Jr.

This was actually not a bad read. It succeeded in giving me alot of information about John F. Kennedy Jr. I also enjoyed reading about his magazine "George".

The book goes into great detail about his life, his magazine, his relationship with Caroline. Yet it never feels "cheap" or hollow. It is a good well written book.

All the more heartbreaking because of what happened to him. Sometimes I wonder had he survived, whether he would have been or would be, President. W ho knows? His life was fascinating to read about.

This was better then expected and is a good book if one is looking for a not to long portrait of John F. Kennedy Jr. ( )
  Thebeautifulsea | Aug 5, 2022 |
This was a good biography of John Jr., however it focused mostly on his last years, and not much on his childhood. ( )
  sraimone | Jun 20, 2013 |
I had a special interest in young John because our own son David was so close to the same age. Our son died in a tragic accident. When Young John died just eleven years later, it seemed a double tragedy. The author of this biography of President John F. Kennedy's son knew John from working with him for four years on George magazine. He presents a balanced view of a seemingly very nice young man without being overly critical or too fawning. It gave me a glimpse of Kennedy that I had never had before, which I enjoyed very much. ( )
  anneofia | Apr 9, 2010 |
This objective memoir of John Kennedy Jr. gives insight into the last 4 years of John's life through the eyes of a close colleague and friend. It details the friendship and growing bond between the author and historical icon during some major points in his life. ( )
  tncote | Feb 19, 2006 |
For four years, whenever I told someone that I worked at George magazine, the response invariably came back, "Oh, did you know John before?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,786,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible