Double Crossing by Erika Holzer

Double Crossing

by Erika Holzer

When I first read this book it was titled Double Crossing, while it's been revised and published recently as Freedom Bridge: A Cold War Thriller. Such a different time. When this book was first published there was still a Soviet Union, still an East Germany, and I was very young and filled with moral outrage that so many around me were so... blase about the evils of what were happening behind the Iron Curtain, this idea that the differences between us were trivial. I loved reading Thomas Clancy then, and loved reading this book then, because for once it didn't wrap things in this drab blanket of moral greyness. It still rather annoys me when I read authors such as John Le Carre or Graham Greene who seem to send the message there's wasn't much to choose between the Soviets and the Americans. At the same time, both are superb writers--while Erika Holzer just strikes me as competent.

Which mind you, is not to be disparaged. I liked this book. I liked the characters, the twists, and at times I found it suspenseful. I wouldn't mind taking a book of this quality along on a long plane trip--if I hadn't read it before. It's entertaining. That's why it doesn't get any less than three stars. But it's just not a book I can read again and again, it doesn't have for me that staying power decades after having first read it. Her characters and prose just don't quite come up to the level I can find new things, admire the writing, or read as great comfort food reading. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Aug 28, 2013 |

Tom Doherty Books May 1985 1st Edition mass market paperback. Light rub marks on the corners/edges from light use/shelfwear. Ships same day as payment received!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:18 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,657,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible