Fortune e sfortune della famosa Moll…

Fortune e sfortune della famosa Moll Flanders. Avventuriera, ladra,… (original 1722; edition 1981)

by Daniel Defoe (Autore)

An orphan, born in a prison, works her way from the streets of London to a Virginia plantation.
Member:Mati97
Title:Fortune e sfortune della famosa Moll Flanders. Avventuriera, ladra, prostituta
Authors:Daniel Defoe (Autore)
Info:BUR Biblioteca Univ. Rizzoli (1981), Edition: 3, 368 pages

Work Information

Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe (1722)

Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (roby72)
    Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray (flissp, Booksloth)
    Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are the tales of unscrupulous women doing whatever they can to succeed.
    The Gravedigger's Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Similar themes in very different societies.
    The Artificial Silk Girl by Irmgard Keun (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Frank explorations of sex and its connections with society and economics.

English (85)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (96)
Wow! that was just... awful, i mean that was shockingly bad :lol. I was pleasantly surprised by Robinson Crusoe so this was doubly disappointing. Its written in such a dull lifeless manner that it kills any sense of emotion or interest it might otherwise have. Its a series of short incidents few of which are interesting, in fact the story only seems to start get going when your 2/3's of the way through. To say it gets interesting from then on, i should clarify that it is only comparatively so, as it certainly couldn't get any duller.
Not only is it dull but the situation is made worse by the most ridiculous coincidences cropping up here and there. I'm at a loss for words to thoroughly describe how pointless this felt to read. I'm seriously tempted to give it one star but its not even interesting enough to be truly bad. A complete waste of time, go read 'Forever Amber' or 'Fanny Hill' or literally ANYTHING else. ( )
  wreade1872 | Nov 28, 2021 |
Textbook use of the English Language ( )
  AnthonyBlack | Nov 18, 2021 |
Fiction
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
Moll Flanders (Signet Classics) by Daniel Defoe (1996)
  arosoff | Jul 10, 2021 |
I have always loved to read, since I was a child. I devour books like hungry people devour food. However, I hated reading so-called "classics" required in school. Words cannot express how much I loathed "The Catcher in the Rye", "Heart of Darkness" and "Grapes of Wrath." It wasn't until I became a senior high school that I finally came across two classics that I enjoyed, A Scarlet Letter and Moll Flanders. Perhaps I just wanted to read about rebellious, independent women?

Moll Flanders has every bit the adventure of Robison Crusoe, just more scandalous for the time since she was a woman. Her journey from orphan, to servant, to prostitute to woman of means is engaging throughout. I loved how she overcame adversity to live her life on her own terms without losing the capacity to love. While the language is a bit formal compared to modern prose, the story transcends. Heartily recommended - especially to those like me who have resisted classic literature. ( )
  jshillingford | Jun 1, 2021 |
Moll Flanders is an authentic portrait of a prostitute but it is not a neutrally objective one. Indeed, it is a relentless evaluation, a judgment. This judgment is pronounced ironically entirely in the terms of the specific kind of realism Defoe chose to employ. The story is not only based on facts; it consists of almost nothing else... Moll Flanders gives the overwhelming and indelible impression that it is modeled on a whore in fact. Its authenticity is not due to the accumulation of elaborately researched detail. It has none of the sensory richness of background and local color we find in Zola’s Nana, although it says essentially the same thing about the profession of whoring. Defoe’s is a classical realism.
added by SnootyBaronet | editSaturday Review of Literature, Kenneth Rexroth

Weimann, RobertVorwortsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Workman, Samuel K.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wragg, ArthurIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My true name is so well known in the records or registers at Newgate, and in the Old Bailey, and there are some things of such consquence still depending there, relating to my particular conduct, that it is not to be expected I should set my name or the account of my family to this work; perhaps after my death it may be better known; at present it would not be proper, no, not though a general pardon should be issued, even without exception of persons or crimes.
So certainly does interest banish all manner of affection, and so naturally do men give up honour and justice, humanity, and even Christianity, to secure themselves.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,536,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible