The Shadow of His Wings: The True Story of…

The Shadow of His Wings: The True Story of Fr. Gereon Goldmann, OFM (edition 2000)

by Gereon Goldmann (Author)

198291,048 (3.79)None
Member:jbpjackson
Title:The Shadow of His Wings: The True Story of Fr. Gereon Goldmann, OFM
Authors:Gereon Goldmann (Author)
Info:Ignatius Press (2000), Edition: Revised, 350 pages

The Shadow of His Wings: The True Story of Fr. Gereon Goldmann, OFM by Gereon Goldmann

This is one of the most heartening books I have ever read. It unequivocally and powerfully gives testimony to God's reliability and faithfulness. It especially demonstrates God’s intervening goodness in adverse circumstances – often impossible situations - for that imperfect human creature who serves God selflessly for the salvation of souls and to relieve human suffering on earth. Nearly every short chapter is full of suspense. Many reveal how the main character maintained boldness and integrity while being in the midst of war, and moreover, while serving opposing forces. The war milieu brings one to ponder the few things that are basic - the things that are important and lasting, and that which is delicate and fleeting - life itself. It profiles the human frame, its extraordinary capacity for good and evil. One cannot avoid re-thinking life - its purpose, its possibilities, its beauty, its moral and immoral dimensions, its light and darkness, its goodness and evil - and the choices they bring - - and the thinness which separate all of these dimensions. And yes, what about God, is there One, and where is he, and how and when does he act?
  allenkeith | Oct 8, 2012 |
Our bookclub has been revived and most of us were not looking forward to the discussion of our second book, The Shadow of His Wings by Gereon Goldmann. Since bookclub is predominantly made up of co-workers, we have the opportunity to engage in pre-discussions and the consensus was that this book sucked.

However, being that none of us had picked the book, we were unsure as to whether this month's hostess (who had picked the book) would agree with our assessment.

There was an almost audible sigh of relief from all around the table when she started the conversation by remarking on how utterly disappointed she was with the book. She had been enticed by a jacket blurb which we all agreed made the book look promising.

We spent the rest of the evening lambasting the book and the author. It did, however, make for a spirited conversation and provided an opening to veer onto tangents about living in Germany, visiting Japan, and the emotional repercussions of war. ( )
  iammbb | Feb 21, 2007 |

We had to do it. We had to reprint this book. Rarely has a book had such an impact on so many of us here at Ignatius Press. It is one of the most powerful and moving books we have come across. If you can only buy one book this season, this must be the one. Here is the astonishing true story of the harrowing experiences of a young German seminarian drafted into Hitler's dreaded SS at the onset of World War II. Without betraying his Christian ideals, against all odds, and in the face of Evil, Gereon Goldmann was able to complete his priestly training, be ordained, and secretly minister to German Catholic soldiers and innocent civilian victims caught up in the horrors of war. How it all came to pass will astound you.

Father Goldmann tells of his own incredible experiences of the trials of war, his many escapes from almost certain death, and the diabolical persecution that he and his fellow Catholic soldiers encountered on account of their faith. What emerges is an extraordinary witness to the workings of Divine Providence and the undying power of love, prayer, faith, and sacrifice. Illustrated

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

We had to do it. We had to reprint this book. Rarely has a book had such an impact on so many of us here at Ignatius Press. It is one of the most powerful and moving books we have come across. If you can only buy one book this season, this must be the one. Here is the astonishing true story of the harrowing experiences of a young German seminarian drafted into Hitler's dreaded SS at the onset of World War II. Without betraying his Christian ideals, against all odds, and in the face of Evil, Gereon Goldmann was able to complete his priestly training, be ordained, and secretly minister to German Catholic soldiers and innocent civilian victims caught up in the horrors of war. How it all came to pass will astound you. Father Goldmann tells of his own incredible experiences of the trials of war, his many escapes from almost certain death, and the diabolical persecution that he and his fellow Catholic soldiers encountered on account of their faith. What emerges is an extraordinary witness to the workings of Divine Providence and the undying power of love, prayer, faith, and sacrifice. Illustrated… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,109,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible