Summer by Edith Wharton

Summer (1917)

by Edith Wharton

English (29)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (31)
It's a book about bland landscapes and boring 1-diminsional characters. Quite a chore to read. ( )
  maxjwolf | Apr 22, 2014 |
Charity is a victim, a victim of the time of the era, a victim of not having a positive female role model. A young girl wanting more in all ways but having little control over her life, she ends up a hostage of her circumstance and of the times, her yearning for love and escape keep a grip on this naive and unknowing young woman. A woman ultimately prey to two men both predators living a life she desperately hoped to abandon.

"Her heart was ravaged by life's cruelest discovery: the first creature who had come toward her out of the wilderness had brought her anguish instead of joy."

Wharton's simplistic detailed style is appetizing. She creates characters that are bothersome, and untroubling. Her striking descriptions of the surroundings allow the reader to feel the sun on their skin and the grass between their toes.

Summer an unfortunate story displayed in exquisite prose.

Melinda_H | Apr 22, 2014 |

Summer an unfortunate story displayed in exquisite prose.

Melinda_H | Apr 22, 2014 |
When she was 5-years-old Charity Royall was rescued from a life of poverty with her prostitute mother when a wealthy man became her guardian. Instead of growing up in the mountain community with her mother she is raised in a life of privilege by Lawyer Royall and grows up to be a librarian. When we meet her she is a grown woman just beginning to stretch her wings. After turning down her guardians’ marriage proposal (eww) she is restless and discontent in her life. She soon finds momentary fulfillment in a clandestine relationship.
The material is a bit racy for its time period (which makes it tame by today’s standards.) It gives readers a tragic look at an ambitious girl who flouts the societal restraints imposed on her. It felt like a weak precursor to The House of Mirth, though it was published more than a decade later.

BOTTOM LINE: For me, the ending was deeply dissatisfying and disappointing. It felt more like a morality lesson for settling down as quickly as possible. I was frustrated that Charity was left with so few options, though I understand that’s a realistic view of the time period. ( )
  bookworm12 | Mar 3, 2014 |
I was told this book was dirty, and ...well, to be fair, I was told it was dirty "for Wharton," which I suppose is true as far as it goes, but still: oblique references to illicit trysts aren't exactly begging for the fap when you fade out after they hold hands. Remind me this though: next time I'm sitting next to a leathery woman from Lowell on the bus and she's all "Hey, what are YOU reading?" and I say "Edith Wharton" and she mishears me and thinks I said "It's for work," and gives me a lecture about reading for work on buses, which apparently is bullshit, not that I disagree, the right response is not "No, Edith Wharton, and it's gonna be cool because I heard it was dirty." You won't really get a disapproving look - I mean, wtf, she's from Lowell, that's probably the nicest thing she's ever heard on a bus - but she will decide that you're now buddies and you might want to see a picture of a cat her friend died red, white and blue for the Superbowl. Because, y'know, the cat is a Pats fan. I'm not kidding about any of this. You know I don't kid. And I guess it's working; we're up 17 - 9 in the third quarter. Dear Boston, the only reason I looked up the score is so I could reference it in this Edith Wharton review I'm writing during the Superbowl; after this I'm gonna go back to reading Nathaniel Hawthorne. I ain't gotta defend my masculinity to the likes of you. Wharton and Hawthorne were both here before the Patriots were so don't go yelling at me about loyalty, yahdood. ( )
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
A girl came out of lawyer Royall’s house, at the end of the one street of North Dormer, and stood on the doorstep.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553214225, Mass Market Paperback)

Considered by some to be her finest work, Edith Wharton’s Summer created a sensation when first published in 1917, as it was one of the first novels to deal honestly with a young woman’s sexual awakening.

Summer is the story of Charity Royall, a child of mountain moonshiners adopted by a family in a poor New England town, who has a passionate love affair with Lucius Harney, an educated man from the city. Wharton broke the conventions of women’s romantic fiction by making Charity a thoroughly independent modern woman—in touch with her emotions and sexuality, yet kept from love and the larger world she craves by the overwhelming pressures of heredity and society.

Praised for its realism and honesty by such writers as Joseph Conrad and Henry James and compared to Flaubert’s Madame Bovary, Summer remains as fresh and powerful a novel today as when it was first written.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:52 -0400)

A young girl's rite of passage into adulthood is evoked in Wharton's classic novel.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451525663, 0140186794

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,575,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible