The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

The Joy Luck Club (original 1989; edition 2006)

by Amy Tan

In 1949, four Chinese women--drawn together by the shadow of their past--begin meeting in San Francisco to play mah jong, invest in stocks and "say" stories. They call their gathering the Joy Luck Club--and forge a relationship that binds them for more than three decades.
Member:rcmartin12
Title:The Joy Luck Club
Authors:Amy Tan
Info:Penguin Books (2006), Edition: Later Printing, Paperback, 288 pages

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan (1989)

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (Jennie_103)
    Jennie_103: Another story of generations of chinese women.
    The Jade Peony by Wayson Choy (laytonwoman3rd)
    laytonwoman3rd: This novel explores similar themes of the generation gap in immigrant Chinese families---the "old ways" in conflict with the new world.
    Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden (sturlington)
    Fifth Chinese Daughter by Jade Snow Wong (Imprinted)
    Sweet Mandarin: The Courageous True Story of Three Generations of Chinese Women and Their Journey from East to West by Helen Tse (elbakerone)
    Krik? Krak! by Edwidge Danticat (Othemts)
    Othemts: In a superficial way this book reminds me of the stories of Amy Tan in that they show the strains of relationships between mothers and daughters, immigrants and American-born.

English (150)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (160)
The film version of The Joy Luck Club being a favorite from my teens and early 20s (I watched it repeatedly), I had high hopes for its source material. Hopes met and exceeded! One of those rare cases where the book and its movie are equals.

Mother-daughter relationships fascinate me anyway. Intersect those dynamics with issues faced by immigrants (especially those leaving their homelands during/after war) and their first-generation American children and there's even more to observe, think about, appreciate...

Just like with the movie, the book's ending left me with bittersweet tears -- a mixture of grief, joy, and hope. ( )
  flying_monkeys | Nov 7, 2019 |
Not really for me. I just couldn't get into it. ( )
  ptrsdwski | Jul 16, 2019 |
Most famous Amy Tan novel made into a movie. Chinese-America's share their cultural experience and analyze it for how it affects them in the USA. ( )
  atufft | Jul 4, 2019 |
A story about four Chinese women and their daughters. The women were all born in China and grew up there. Their daughters were all born in America. How were they different, how the same? How did they intrinsically understand each other and how not? Along the way, we learn something about the culture of China back in the day, i.e. 1930s and 1940s.
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
Rereading. ( )
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
In Tan's hands, these linked stories - diverse as they are - fit almost magically into a powerfully coherent novel, whose winning combination of ingredients - immigrant experience, mother-daughter ties, Pacific Rim culture - make it a book with the ``good luck'' to be in the right place at the right time.

In the hands of a less talented writer such thematic material might easily have become overly didactic, and the characters might have seemed like cutouts from a Chinese-American knockoff of ''Roots.'' But in the hands of Amy Tan, who has a wonderful eye for what is telling, a fine ear for dialogue, a deep empathy for her subject matter and a guilelessly straightforward way of writing, they sing with a rare fidelity and beauty. She has written a jewel of a book.

Tan, Amyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alfsen, MereteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holt, Heleen tenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lohmann, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Estonian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
To my mother and the memory of her mother. You asked me once what I would remember. This, and much more.
The old woman remembered a swan she had bought many years ago in Shanghai for a foolish sum.
Please don't combine with commentaries or educational adaptations

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,390,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible